Holly Cover-up Batman!

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While looking through a box of nickels I found this Indian head nickel covered with who-knows-what:

photo 2-1.JPG photo 3.JPG

This is the reverse side - in somewhat better condition.

photo 1-1.JPG

This is the Indian head coin after I soaked it in water and scraped off the remaining stuff(?). I know, I should not treat a coin this way, but I was hoping to see a date. Even after using Nic-A-Date, no date was apparent:

photo 4.JPG

A totally botched job. What would you have done?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a worthless nickel and you just want to know the date, try vinegar and a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. Trust me when I say it will ruin it, it will ruin it. I had two shield nickels that I could just make out the 5 on the back or the part of the shield on front. I let then soak for a couple of days and I don't know what the chemical reaction is but it made it so I can read the date and could make out most of the detail. But it made them worthless, but they were more worthless before because you couldn't see anything on them. I also got them free so I didn't lose anything by doing that to them.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warm hydrogen peroxide may have lifted the debris from the coin. I have restored Indian Heads (copper) unsure of nickels. You may always try our cleaning and preservation section before tackling an item. Lots of experienced information.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me, I prolly would have tried acetone... never tried nic-a-date, so ultimately it would have gone into my tube of dateless buffs. Once I get a roll, I sit on it until I figure out what to do with them...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dateless buffalo nickel is basically worth face value (plus a few cents to the right collector)... What you did is OK, you had nothing to lose by damaging the coin further.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dateless buffalo nickel is basically worth face value (plus a few cents to the right collector)... What you did is OK, you had nothing to lose by damaging the coin further.

I agree and I see a mintmark on the reverse. A semi or key date nic-a-dated nickel has got to be worth more then an unknown date. You've lost no value by cleaning it.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An acid treated 1918/17 D sell for $300-400.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread