buying/selling on ebay under spot

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This probably isn't the best place for this thread, but I feel like this community may have gone threw this and probably of like mind about it, so any insight is appreciated

So I have started to sell some of my 40% for some extra money sense I got burned on the morgans, I did some pretty extensive bay watching and running the numbers, and saw that most coin lots of 2 or more coins usually went for a little over spot, and even the 40% stuff seemed to work out to around 2.7-3 $ per coin. and nothing seemed to be going for less then spot.

Well I put my stuff up their and after fees ive had some sell for under 2$ a coin! I know that usually its some thing like 10$ product with free Shipping and Handling or 5$ product with 5$ shipping and handling, but the avg on their always seemed in favor at least getting spot from the listings I saw that had ended and running the number, after fees etc.. not seem to be the case with mine tho.

then I thought how come I can never buy below spot like that? granted before shipping and fees its usually well over spot, but ive looked at some single 40% that have sold, and unless the person just put the half in a white envelope with a stamp and mailed it, they would only be getting like 70 cents for the half!! that's crazy! I wouldn't do that lol even tho I only paid 50 cents for it, its worth more then that, but then again its only worth what someone will pay for it.

so do any of you guys buy/sell on ebay? do you get spot? do you buy under spot? and can you just put something in a envelope and mail it? because I cant seem to find that option when selecting shipping... all kinds of expensive shipping options, but what if you can just send it like a letter??

Thanks everyone

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-Side note-

I just used a 10$ ebay coupon to buy 1$ 90% for 8.80$ haha, not sure if that will make up the hit ive taken on the 40% tho lol

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
$2 a coin is probably more than your LCS or pawn shop will offer. It's still technically a $1.50 profit I guess. Did they sell for $2 a coin or did you receive $2 a coin after fees?

I've been researching myself lately, but haven't listed or bought anything personally. Fees and shipping seem to be the killer on eBay. Both eBay and PayPal take a cut from the auction and then again from shipping if you do it through them. If you don't pass on the cost of shipping to the buyer you'll never make a profit. You can stick one (maybe two) in a white envelope and put a stamp on it, but if the buyer receives it damaged, with postage due, or not at all (stolen, envelope tears open) you will most likely get some very negative feedback.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The prices i put on this thread are after fees.. and i also revised my craigslist ad and dropped the price alil sense I'm not really exspecting spot really..

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a couple deals where I got a lot of say 5-8 dimes or 4-5 qtrs for under spot- ill never sell ag on ebay because its very hit and miss and with the fees it just aint worth it- I have locals I can always get above spot (except 40% those go for spot)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been kinda playing with it to see what works, I've put some on the higher end and they just don't sell

lespaul337

Jan 17, 2014
Lake Charles
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Waterproof Pro Pointer, MineLab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sell on Ebay ALOT and for junk silver it just isn't worth it.. My LCS will pay 12X face for 90% and 4x face for 40%.. after fees, shipping and all the mess of dealing with ebay, paypal, and the post office. I was barely making another 5% or 10% above that... Just way easier and less hassle to bring it to the LCS that I am going to go to anyway and walk out with cash. The prices on ebay seem quite a bit higher until you factor in the time, work, and fees associated with selling there.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
All fun and games till you get hit with PayPal fees and you start receiving a nice hunk of Chinese steel going for the price of spot silvR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread