persistence is failing

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how to word this
My patience/persistence is starting to weign- I am on another long skunk streak- over 60+ 30 alone this week(had 4 different banks call me telling me they had boxes someone didnt pick up if I wanted them) - and avg now just 1 40% per 13 boxes and 1 90% per 21 boxes not sure I can last much longer with silver being so low still- im getting an itch to just use my crh funds to buy a big lot of ag-
Ugh seeing the great finds by a few of you is a double edged sword-
Keep huntin everyone

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya I did find my 1st magicians coin- sounds checking and heard a clunk instead of the clinks- kinda sucks though cause I bent it a bit throwing it on the floor to open it

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear that man. What ever happened with getting some Ikes to search?

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that man. What ever happened with getting some Ikes to search?

Those dried up pretty fast
I think I got 10 bags of $100 before the bank told me the courier was out of them- I ask every couple weeks but havent been able to get any more

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I sure cant blame you for getting discouraged with those numbers. I start getting discouraged a little anytime my skunk streaks get into the double digits but I've never had skunk streaks as long as some of yours. I know location is an important part of this hobby and unfortunately you obviously live in a bad region for crhing. I think you've mentioned before that dimes haven't been any better for you so I suppose that's not an option either. And its too bad you cant get anymore Ikes either because that seemed like it might be a nice option for you for a while.

Buying some Ag at current low prices is definitely something worth considering - esp if prices get much lower. That's not as good or quite as much fun as getting it at fv, but as Im sure you'll agree the most important thing right now is stacking and owning as much as you can afford - because in the long run you'll sure be glad you did. Good luck to you.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Idk if you've ever tried it or even considered it but maybe you could try MDing. That's something I've considered a little in the past but I've never tried it. But if I ever gave up CRHing (or ever stopped ordering boxes) I'd probably at least give it more serious thought. Good luck whatever you decide.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
MDing is fun, I haven't done it in so long I don't think I remember how to use mine lol. Ya know russell, it's not Silver but, star note hunting is pretty lucritive(spelling), I sold quite a few on Ebay and made money, last one I sold was a $50.00 star note for 80 bucks, not big money but none the less.... you could use the profits to just buy junk Silver. HH, Maverick.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya I did find my 1st magicians coin- sounds checking and heard a clunk instead of the clinks- kinda sucks though cause I bent it a bit throwing it on the floor to open it ------------------------------------- just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

I did the exact same thing with the first one I found. Then I read to put it in a plastic or glass jar and shake like heck. That first one I found is garbage now cause I bent the crap out if it throwing it on the garage floor, haha.

I really hope your skunk streak ends, and soon. I haven't ordered boxes in while, but most ofthe random CWR I have been obtaining are smelly too.

Good luck you and HH

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
switch to CWR's. I havent ordered a box in a year.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I used an empty coffee can to open the last magicians coin I found earlier this year and that worked pretty well without damaging the coin. I might be a little concerned about using a glass jar and shaking real hard for a stubborn magicians coin. I still have a couple of double same sided halves I found a couple of years ago that I've never been able to get open. They might be glued together and not meant to be opened Idk.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I used an empty coffee can to open the last magicians coin I found earlier this year and that worked pretty well without damaging the coin. I might be a little concerned about using a glass jar and shaking real hard for a stubborn magicians coin. I still have a couple of double same sided halves I found a couple of years ago that I've never been able to get open. They might be glued together and not meant to be opened Idk.

I have a couple of double sided ones to that won't open, I think you're right that they aren't meant to be opened, just a gag coin. I used to find a lot more a couple of years ago, not so many now ( I did find one in this weeks batch, 62 large cent inside)

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever tried different sources of supply in your area? (ie, if you are having no luck with brinks are you trying garda, dunbar, loomis, shields, etc?) I know in my area that one coin courier produces way more than all the rest. When I first started hunting I tried close to 20 boxes from each of the couriers in the area and I'm pretty sure that to this day I have never found a silver from most of the carriers. I still pick up random boxes from other carriers when banks have them on hand but they are always skunks. Try mixing up sources of supply if you haven't.

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
switch to CWR's. I havent ordered a box in a year.

Thise are almost as scarce in my area as any silver lol

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever tried different sources of supply in your area? (ie, if you are having no luck with brinks are you trying garda, dunbar, loomis, shields, etc?) I know in my area that one coin courier produces way more than all the rest. When I first started hunting I tried close to 20 boxes from each of the couriers in the area and I'm pretty sure that to this day I have never found a silver from most of the carriers. I still pick up random boxes from other carriers when banks have them on hand but they are always skunks. Try mixing up sources of supply if you haven't.

My normal 10 boxes a week come from 3 different carriers- loomis brinks garda honestly im not sure there are any more than those 3 in my area- I know ive never seen any other kind of truck driving around

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I still contend as I have said in the past, (see my prior posts from early 2014), that the major 4 coin vendors have recently purchased the newest versions of coin counters that can EXTRACT silver coins. It's not another functional step for them, it has to be sorted/counted anyway. If the reject bin fills then it becomes another step, but how long can that take. To their management it's another sideline source of income. Income to them but a loss of hobby interest to us CRH's.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I still contend as I have said in the past, (see my prior posts from early 2014), that the major 4 coin vendors have recently purchased the newest versions of coin counters that can EXTRACT silver coins. It's not another functional step for them, it has to be sorted/counted anyway. If the reject bin fills then it becomes another step, but how long can that take. To their management it's another sideline source of income. Income to them but a loss of hobby interest to us CRH's.

I was starting to believe that myself, after a 3 week run of skunks. Then I get a box that has a Franklin ender, and 4 40%'s. It might be happening in some locations, but I've yet to see any proof.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Here's my disbelief with this, 1st, it's not their money, they just process it. I do believe that there probably are some cool bosses out there that will let the employees pick out coins that they can swap out, I have spoken to one of my bank tellers that have confirmed that when she was employed in one of the establishments that they would let her swap out bills if she wanted to.
2nd, it is not ( as far as I know) their job to filter out any foreign or Silver coins, ( that's why we find what we find Silver, Foreign, Large pennies, tokens ect...) if they did take out all the odd stuff, they would have to pay or replace it ( ei Brinks, Loomis, Dumbar ect..) I don't think they are in the business of cleaning up the coin supply for the banks, why would they take out all of the foreign, tokens, guitar picks, slugs and replace it with money? It would cost them more money in the end right?

I just don't see why they would install machines to take anything out, just doesn't seem in the grand skeem of things that the coins sorting facillities would be worried about trying to make a few bucks on SIlver coins, they make their money packing and distributing. I could be totally wrong:dontknow:of course, this is just my opinion and you know those are like butholes, everyone has one:tongue3:. HH, Maverick.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the topic of coin counters...my hometown bank is not paying to fix their coin counter, and it has been broken for months. They are going to try to fix it themselves. I am not sure if that is a testament to the failure of that particular branch or a general consensus among banks that a shift away from the service of counting coin is on the horizon. Pretty interesting either way, and I have made a claim on the partially-filled bags in the event they shut down the machine for good.
Sorry for your skunks Russell. I would have switched to a different denomination if I were you. Dimes are almost always steady, and cents are fun. CWR aren't an option here either, though I have found a few banks who will sell either bags or coin they wrap themselves, which is basically the same thing.
If you're tired of skunks, I wouldn't consider metal detecting. Those skunks leave you dirty, sweaty, and sore. There is the feeling of adventure and real treasure hunting that is hard to ignore, but my finds are so few and far between.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a break. Use the time it took to pick up and search boxes, then dump the coins, to explore new interests or hobbies. Come back to searching when you feel refreshed.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Right after I joined Tnet I was having some great luck CRHing. During the 6 month period between the beginning of Sept 2011 to the end of Feb 2012 I found over 125 ozs of silver (mostly from some nice cwr scores). Then in March - April of 2012 I had about a 25-30 half box skunk streak and that was enough to convince me to decide to take a break from ordering boxes for a while. I didn't really start ordering boxes again until the start of this year. Fortunately my boxes have been producing pretty good this year but I cant seem to find many cwr halves like I used to in the past.

I consider myself to have been quite fortunate with this hobby. And as we all know, luck is a big part of this hobby - both good and bad. More volume usually seems to work out well for most hunters but as in your case Russell (and for some others here too) if you live in a bad location for crhing and/or just have a horrible supply line where you live then more volume may just mean more and more skunks.

Since you aren't having much luck with boxes and cant find any cwrs and are understandably feeling a little burnt out right now, maybe taking a break from crhing for a while might be a good idea. Btw, I just noticed that silver is just below $19 oz now so if you can get a good deal somewhere from a reputable dealer then maybe buying some Ag now might be a good option for you now. Then you'd have some time to build up your bank roll again while you're taking a break from the hobby for a while. Just a thought. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread