Has Anyone Else Noticed the British Invasion?

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past three months I have found 6 one-penny coins from the UK.

This is my latest find.

photo 2-4.JPG photo 1-3.JPG

This is the coin next to a Kennedy half dollar for size comparison purposes.

photo 3-4.JPG

Can anyone explain how or why so many one-penny coins are in circulation? Are these in circulation in Britain? Are tourists bringing them back to the US? Or are collectors simply dumping them into coin machines and collecting 50 cents for each coin?

What do you think?

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That '49 Penny looks like its in really nice condition for its age. I've only ever found two large Penny coins myself - both earlier this year. Im not sure why you've found so many. Didn't you find a box with a bunch of large Penny coins from different countries recently, or was that someone else? If so I would say its kinda unusual you've found so many not just from the UK but so many other different countries also.

Its just sometimes hard to figure why it is people find what they do in boxes sometimes. Maverick finding a solid half box or two of all clad proofs is really strange. Or someone else several months ago finding a solid silver mwr in a half box and I think that may have been the only silver in the whole box - that's just bizarre. Maybe the ones you've found have all be spread out in different boxes from one big collection dump Idk. Its just a hobby that's hard to figure at times.

HH!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
If I take a British penny and throw it in a coin counter or put it a CWR of halves, I have taken a coin worth less than 50 cents and just got rid of it for 50 cents.

OP
OP
DustDevilMarc

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That '49 Penny looks like its in really nice condition for its age. I've only ever found two large Penny coins myself - both earlier this year. Im not sure why you've found so many. Didn't you find a box with a bunch of large Penny coins from different countries recently, or was that someone else? If so I would say its kinda unusual you've found so many not just from the UK but so many other different countries also.

Its just sometimes hard to figure why it is people find what they do in boxes sometimes. Maverick finding a solid half box or two of all clad proofs is really strange. Or someone else several months ago finding a solid silver mwr in a half box and I think that may have been the only silver in the whole box - that's just bizarre. Maybe the ones you've found have all be spread out in different boxes from one big collection dump Idk. Its just a hobby that's hard to figure at times.

HH!

Earlier this year I had a box with perhaps 5 large UK one-penny coins and 6 large Australian one-penny coins. Also, though I did not yet post it to TNET, I also did find 21 different-year clad proof Kennedy half-dollar coins in a single box, some in excellent condition, from 1971 through 2010. Are pictures of these helpful to anyone?

Last edited:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier this year I had a box with perhaps 5 large UK one-penny coins and 6 large Australian one-penny coins. Also, though I did not yet post it to TNET, I also did find 21 different-year clad proof Kennedy half-dollar coins in a single box, some in excellent condition, from 1971 through 2010. Are pictures of these helpful to anyone?

Oh ok, that's the box I was thinking of. That's pretty cool and unusual to find so many in one box. You probably just got someone's big Penny collection they dumped. And 21 clad proofs is a lot for one box too. I don't know if you saw, but recently Maverick found one or two solid boxes of all clad proofs. That was obviously a huge collection dump from either the US Mint or some large big time collector/dealer somewhere who dumped them for whatever reason.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a coin dealer has a bucket of large pennies and he sells them for $1 a piece and can't move them. It's quite possible for a dealer to dump them for 50c a piece.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely hate paying 50 cents each for those British largies. I hope all who fraudulently dumps these into a coin counter get what they deserve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread