pawn shop hunting

Marcel

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Do any of you visit pawn shops that sell coins as bullion only? I have one I go to that sells silver coins for the same price, without regard to mint mark or condition. I've gotten au mercury dimes for 1.80 each. Au walking liberty halves for 9.00 each, and even an 1898 Barber dime in good condition for 1.80. Pretty stoked!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I know that pawn shops in my area are generally rip-offs when buying and selling, and the cash for gold places don't sell their silver coins either.
I stopped in several shops recently. Most didn't have coins but had bullion at $5 over spot.

SyrocoKid

Sep 12, 2014
Syracuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a pawn shop that will sell me bullion and circulated silver, but only if I don't deal with the in house coin employee. When I dealt with him and asked about buying some beat up dimes, he told me he would not sell silver with the way the price has trended these last few weeks. I came back a week and a half later and had no trouble making a silver purchase.

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
Just visited a pawn shop a week ago and they offered $2.50 for each 90% half dollar. What a good deal! Nottttt

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out a pawn shop in my area and it was pretty bad. It had one ounce rounds at $34.00 and junk silver coins were ridiculous. I will keep looking though!

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an Antique Shop had junk silver for $15 per $1 face value excluding silver dollars. The Silver dollars were priced at $21.

So I picked out a few decent condition walkers and ben's at 7.50 each.

I'm sure I'll go back and get some more just waiting to see if silver keeps dropping, cause I will keep stacking more.

Pete

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a few bum shops wanting 10 times or more the current spot on some really blah coins, hit one on the far side of the county that had a few decent coins reasonable priced. Bought a couple 1 oz OPM rounds for 17 each. I figured spot was fair to pay just to stack.

jun808bug

Feb 11, 2014
I found a pawnshop in my area that sells 10% over spot prices. Picked up 3 2012 Chinese Pandas and a 1987 Silver Eagle for $19.50 each. Will be back soon to look through their "junk" silver. Lots of walkers and barbers.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread