Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So a few months ago I met a lady who gave me permission to detect her yard...forgot about her months ago. I see her again in town, says to me that she has half a 5 gal jug full of pennies, that she cant lift, and if I want to search for wheats, am I interested? Also says she trusts me to either roll them, or bank counter, take an honest cut for my time, and give her cash....really? So, I checked the cents, all 12,754 of them, and guess who is NOT going to roll them?...this guy. My take? $5 in clad change, 50 cents worth of common wheats, a few oddball foreign and counterstamped cents. I gave her the cash w/in 24 hrs, w/ a receipt, she says she has 2 more 5 gal jugs, can I help her again? My bride says I should have kept more, what do you think?

Upvote 0

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
One second per coin, 3.54 hrs, ~$1.55/hr. What constitutes an "honest cut"? If she couldn't have lifted them, that $127.54 would have sat there in that jug until she died without you doing the leg work.

3.54 hrs x $7.25/hr = $25.67 is my cut at LEAST.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like what you are thinking, amazing thing is, it did take me 4 hours to search, good call.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
She have any silver jugs she can't lift? :laughing7: If you lack interest ,the same day you detect her yard break the container volumes into manageable sizes for her and run.Unless you are really hungry for old copper..If your wife says you should have taken a larger cut, the only answer is yes dear. Anything else is a invite to disagree, unless she wants to take over the other two jugs sorting for you....8-)

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the same chick whose yard I found the silver military ring back in march...lots of wheats, but no silver coins. She claims to have a jug full of just wheats, that her late father saved, but "it is up in Tampa, my brothers have it"....so there is a 99.99% chance that I will never see those:BangHead:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The odds are the same as if you bought a bag or two at $50 each from the bank. No guarantee to find any key coins. I think you should consider yourself lucky that she even remembered to ask you if you wanted to check them.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
For a $5 'fee' I think you earned her trust. Trust alone is worth more than an extra $10-20 for your time. Ya never know, there may be a 1909 VDB in the wheat jar, should you ever lay hands on it. Sometimes we do things out of the goodness of our heart, and not for earthly rewards.

Rascal

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would not take a "cut" other than the coins I wanted to keep. This kind lady gave you permission to detect her yard and has allowed you to search through her change hoard. In my opinion, you owe her...not the other way around.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a $5 'fee' I think you earned her trust. Trust alone is worth more than an extra $10-20 for your time. Ya never know, there may be a 1909 VDB in the wheat jar, should you ever lay hands on it. Sometimes we do things out of the goodness of our heart, and not for earthly rewards.

Rascal

I agree, & an "earthly Reward" may be in one of those other Jugs anyway :laughing7:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update!!!! She calls me today, wants me to help her move!!!!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: "just help me move a few boxes of junk from the garage to my storage unit...it wont take long, since you've got a truck" This is the kind of lady I cant say no to, soooo I will be doing the heavy lifting this weekend. Problem is, she says she will make it worth my while....WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? Uh-oh.... I hope this doesn't get "complicated":dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh Oh !

look at the bright side, She'll probably hand you another $5.00 :laughing7:

what was Minimum wage in her day ? 50 Cents ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uh Oh !

look at the bright side, She'll probably hand you another $5.00 :laughing7:

was was Minimum wage in her day ? 50 Cents ?

I failed to mention she is approx. my age, (40's), single, and kinda hot....I called her a lady in my OP, more of a "chic", if you will.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I failed to mention she is approx. my age, (40's), single, and kinda hot....I called her a lady in my OP, more of a "chic", if you will.

Aaaah Bonus :headbang:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd would expect a jar of change as making it worth your while..."But watch out for in your ear."!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look out for "cougar rands" ....while coin hunting... wife might not like that.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally would not take a "cut" other than the coins I wanted to keep. This kind lady gave you permission to detect her yard and has allowed you to search through her change hoard. In my opinion, you owe her...not the other way around.

This also mirrors my sentiment, BigWaveDave. Let me tell you a little story...

For months I had been driving past this old brick house with a for sale sign on the front lawn. The lawn needed cutting then, and after a couple more months, it got really high. I called the realtor and proposed a swap: My time mowing for permission to detect the lawn and woodlot. He deferred me to the son of the owner, who claimed that his job kept him from mowing and maintaining the place. He eagerly said, "Go for it!"

So I did.

When I rolled up, there was a car parked in the driveway. It was the owner, a nice old lady who had lived there for 47 years. Her son (who seemed less-than interested in his mom these days), neglected to tell her that I was coming by. She was happy to have someone who would mow and make the place look respectable again, and I was happy to get a chance to detect a virgin site that was built in 1817! Come to find out, it was an old stage coach stop, with tavern and farrier right there on the premises.

So I mowed and mowed and went back and fourth, getting the two-foot-high grass back into shape, all the while the hot sun beating down on my head. It was worth it, just to gain the woman's trust and recognition. I'll go back an mow it this week again, and do a little detecting after. So far I the oldest valuable thing I have found is a 1946 wheatie, but tons of other stuff. LOTS of horseshoe nails, obviously. I am no where even close to being done with this property and its mine all mine! <insert hand-wringing and muahahahaahaa evil laughter here>

I guess the moral of the story, BWD, is that we are all ambassadors for our hobby and anytime we can interface with the public in a generous way, we get repaid in spades. Maybe in the next jug of cents you go through, there will be a 1944 steel? :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread