Silver price manipulators

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you might need to be selling sometime soon, I wouldn't worry about the current low price of silver now. Its probably better for us that the price stays low for as long as possible. Lower prices probably means an even greater chance for better finds and higher prices might mean more competition in the hobby and fewer people cashing in silver coins at fv. $18.44 is pretty low though but I'd consider that a better long term buying opportunity than a time to be selling.

So enjoy reaping the rewards of nice finds at low prices now and later on when prices are higher and the finds are scarcer you'll be reaping the rewards with all the silver you've already stacked and accumulated.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all good bro- long term itll play itself out- unless youre looking to sale now who cares what the price is? Actually the lower it goes the more people dump it and the less crh there are- so drop baby drop

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Staying low is ok with me too, i know what you mean that you want it higher but, as long as it's low, I can more easily fight off the week moments I have every now and then to sell some for something that I may want, but don't really need right now.....:tongue3: HH, Maverick.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay low, that way I can buy...just picked up some nice 40% at $3.00 a piece, thought that was a fair price. Most in AU condition. Grabbed some Mercury's too, paid $1.50 a piece for them.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
I've been out of the game for a while. I've been thinking of getting back into CRH and it's solely because of the low silver prices. I want to see them go even lower for years in the hopes that CRH will once again yield lots of silver finds as it used to. I'm fairly young so I'm looking to hold it long term anyway. Drop baby drop.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been out of the game for a while. I've been thinking of getting back into CRH and it's solely because of the low silver prices. I want to see them go even lower for years in the hopes that CRH will once again yield lots of silver finds as it used to. I'm fairly young so I'm looking to hold it long term anyway. Drop baby drop.

Loaded boxes once again being the norm (or at least being fairly regular) as I understand they used to be for some people a few years before I started ordering boxes sure sounds good to me. I don't know how likely it is to happen but if silver prices were to go even lower than they are now and stay there for a while that might just be enough to make more and more people lose interest in silver and decide to at least dump their 40% silver.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
Silver down 62 cents, gold only down 9 dollars? Gold should be down atleast 30 dollars with silver being down so much, why only 9?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, $17.76 for silver now. Those are revolutionary prices lol. :tongue3:

Idk if there was any recent news or not that made silver sell off more than gold today. Its usually difficult to figure or understand prices in the short term. Traders usually buy and sell for the wrong reasons so I don't usually try and make much sense of most of the trading noise. Im more interested in the long term fundamentals. But it will be interesting to see how low it goes. It sure makes buying at these low prices much more temping.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking at the historical price charts, 2010 was the last year the price touched this low (but it was on the increase just before the run-up to $50 silver, not coming down from it like it is now).

But SF is right, trying to track or make sense of the day-to-day price of silver through the markets is about as useless and futile as trying to track or make sense the silver performance of our boxes. Short term you might get skunked for awhile, but long term you will accumulate the silver. Unless you're Iamrussel, I guess. There are just too many factors to be able to determine any real trends in the short term.

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I keep hearing stick it out from various sources, but when is long term long term?
imagine if you bought silver back in 1980 you still havent recovered your loss, and I would like to think 34 years counts as long term. the same could be said for gold. Warren Buffet thinks silver and gold is a bad investment, he obviously knows what he is doing.
So aside from the thrill of seeing that silver rim in a roll of dimes, is there any real financial benefit to hording silver and gold?

Looking at the historical price charts, 2010 was the last year the price touched this low (but it was on the increase just before the run-up to $50 silver, not coming down from it like it is now).

But SF is right, trying to track or make sense of the day-to-day price of silver through the markets is about as useless and futile as trying to track or make sense the silver performance of our boxes. Short term you might get skunked for awhile, but long term you will accumulate the silver. Unless you're Iamrussel, I guess. There are just too many factors to be able to determine any real trends in the short term.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
I keep hearing stick it out from various sources, but when is long term long term?
imagine if you bought silver back in 1980 you still havent recovered your loss, and I would like to think 34 years counts as long term. the same could be said for gold. Warren Buffet thinks silver and gold is a bad investment, he obviously knows what he is doing.
So aside from the thrill of seeing that silver rim in a roll of dimes, is there any real financial benefit to hording silver and gold?

Long term could mean hundreds of years. Who knows? What i do know is that silver has went down nearly everyday for two months now. Start price for silver this year was $20.06. High was $21.63 briefly. Hopefully it gets back anywhere close to that sometime this year.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 2001, silver was in the $5 range; ten years later it was near $50. Since the 60s it has had its up and down runs. No doubt future highs and lows will be experience; all one needs is patience and a plan based on whatever assumptions you wish to hold on to. I can remember in the 50s when silver was less than $1.00; and in the 60s it went over $1.00 and you could trade in your Silver Certificates for the current value of silver. I was 'selling' my $1 Silver Certs for up to $1.50 each. "Those were the days!"
Don..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently $17.79

down another .73

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
As an add-on to my previous post, I did in fact go out yesterday on a road trip for halves. I did find some silver. One town had barely any halves, the next had a few which yielded some silver, and the third I was told someone had came last week and cleaned them out. At the bank I found the silver at, the teller said "people used to ask for halves a lot when the price of silver was high". This tells me that at least some CRH have quit the game but there are still plenty of people out there. I did find a teller who said I could buy the bag off the counter when its full but I don't know if it sorts silver or not. Also she said usually after a month its full which leads me to believe someone is dumping there. Question is whether its worth it to buy them in the hopes others are dumping in there too.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, in 1980 the average price of silver was $16.39 oz. So even during the 34 year period of time you're choosing the price of silver is still up slightly. And during that same 34 year period of time the USD has continued to lose value. It was in 1979 that the price of silver jumped from $6 per troy ounce to a record high of $48.70 per troy ounce which was an increase of 712%. That short term bubble was attributed to the price manipulation of the Hunt brothers. But if you go back 44 years, the average price of silver in 1970 was just $1.63 oz. And if you go back to 1940, the average price of silver was just .34 an oz. And even if you just go back to 1990, the average price of silver that year was just $4.06 an oz. So during just about any long period of time you choose to today, silver has had a significant increase in price. But choosing a starting period of time at or near the short term bubble and record high (at the time) of 35 years ago to today is a little disingenuous.

As far as Warren Buffet goes, he's obviously a financially smart guy but I don't think even he believes a lot of the ridiculous things he states publicly. Years ago he used to give rather sound financial advice and talk publicly about the growing weakness of the USD and the dangers of the growing national debt but so much of what he says these days is just complete bs and propaganda. He states that the rich should pay higher taxes yet he doesnt pay himself a salary so he can avoid paying income taxes. And from what I understand the IRS has been after WB for years for unpaid back taxes. And he and his rich liberal buddy Bill Gates create these big charities that they donate billions of dollars to because they know they can make better use of their money through their own charities than giving it to the government and having it wasted on whatever type of government expenditure.

WB mainly says so much of what he does because he wants to be known as the "good" and likeable rich guy and not be demonized like those evil selfish rich republican Koch brothers. He knows that the liberal media loves hearing propaganda like the rich don't pay enough in taxes. And he cant even give a straight answer about his views on the minimum wage which he knows increases unemployment and hurts the economy but he wants to be politically correct and maintain his public support of the current administration. Being buddies with the president probably helps keep the IRS off his back too.

I don't follow anything WB says anymore because I know so much of what he says is just propaganda, lies and hypocrisy. But if he truly thinks the USD and US paper securities are sound safe investments and that owning PM's and other hard assests is a bad financial decision and if he puts his money where his mouth is then he's going to lose a lot of his wealth as well as his status as one of the country's wealthiest people - if he lives long enough. How much longer the world central banks can keep this fiat currency Ponzi scheme going is difficult to predict with any certainty. But the USD is the largest financial bubble in world history - that's why its taking so long to pop and that's why the Fed cant let that happen. But QE and 0% interest rates cant and wont last forever. Its all just a mater of time for all this insane illusionary artificial economic stimulus to come to an end. And those of us with the correct economic perspective who have been financially preparing for the inevitable will be the ones rewarded for our patience and sound judgment.

H$H!

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When manipulation battles normal market forces, normal market forces will win eventually. That's when the price of PMs will plummet back to their natural level.

Was it manipulation, normal market forces, or simply inflation that grew the price of silver at somewhere between 4-7% for the first 35 years following the 1970 end of the melt ban? Rational logic says that it was equal parts inflation and market forces that did it. The blip of 1980 in that range was clearly due to manipulation.

The blip of 2010 is just as unnatural as the blip of 1980. The dust will settle in the $12 - $14 range. That said, there will be another unnatural blip sometime in the future. Those who are lucky at timing the market will prosper if they are patient enough, if they live long enough, and if they are unbiased enough to take advantage of it.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lower the better silver is going to go back up very soon.2 or 3 years they say. I wish it would wait 5 years so I can stack some more at the low $$ we have now.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The lower the better silver is going to go back up very soon.2 or 3 years they say. I wish it would wait 5 years so I can stack some more at the low $$ we have now.
I sure hope you are right Tim. I had to wait over 30 years for the last run up. At least, maybe my kids will be able to see it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread