Bought some Silver

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I've been coin roll hunting for at least 7 years, always buying boxes or loose coins from the banks or credit unions so my cost per coin found is pretty low, face value or a bit more when you factor in the gas prices to drive to and back home from the places I hunt. I have stayed away from outright purchasing coins from dealers or individuals as I was trying to either be cheap, maybe stupid? I live in a small 55 plus community and have let the folks know in the past year or so I was a buyer for any old coins. Had an older fellow 6 months ago contact me and ask what I would pay for his coins. Using my I want to be fair, yet also want to win approach, laid out what I would give per coin. Took him all of 1 minute to say OK. I paid a couple of hundred dollars worth of my money for his coins. He was very happy, I thought I did good too. Over the time prices of silver has dropped, so i had to reset my prices and of course they are lower than he was paid. Had a lady and her daughter contact me and say they want to dump the husbands old coins as he died 10 years ago and they could use the money. I paid $630.00 for 31 1879 thru 1935 silver dollars. I got 3 solid rolls of silver quarters 46 silver dimes and 14 Ben halves and 26 40% halves. They were ecstatic that about $85.00 in coins could give them so much money. So the very morning I paid them, silver drops another 69 cents per oz. I think I did OK on this and actually will try to ramp up my buying coins as the hunting has been pretty dismal for the past 8 months. I went through 8 boxes in the past 10 days and found 3 90% and 7 40%, not bad but a far cry from what I used to find years ago.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, if you got all that for just $630, you got a great deal. At first I thought you just got the 31 silver dollars for $630 which seemed reasonable but with all the other silver included too you got a great deal. And btw, my last 8 boxes have produced 2 x 90% and 4 x 40% - all in my last box fortunately. So, your boxes are producing a little better than mine lately. But Im sure the boxes aren't nearly as good as you used to get years ago like you said.

H$H!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You did great overall, especially on the Morgans and Peace dollars, as they are holding numismatic value over melt.

Silver will be down a few bucks more by Christmas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions