Stupid luck - Stone Mountain

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Went to pick up my 4 boxes today. My teller called me up and began to break me the bad news, instead of 4 boxes coming only two boxes came in, but they also sent a bag of $1,000. She almost called them to send them back and was apologetic and said if I don't want it no problem. Of course I said I'd take it thinking 50/50 it's one of my dumps from a different bank working back into the system or it's a virgin bag off a counter. The 2 boxes yielded 1 40%er each, 85 NIFC's, a couple of proofs and our 3rd magicians half.

The bag yielded 16 40%ers, 4 1964's, a 1935 WLH (my first halves from the '30's), a 1925 Stone Mountain in ~AU shape (oldest silver commemorative), a 1953 Canadian (2nd Canadian Silver half), and a 1945 British penny (my first). Next week I'll be sure to mention that if there's any other opportunity for bags in the future, that'd be fine.

I'm on a bit of a heater, really having fun. I do need to working on dumping more than I pick up. Accumulation is becoming a bit of a problem.... Finally worked through all the nickels from last week - house is a mess.

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to bags - I've had a few solid ones - though I haven't gotten a bag in 3 or 4 years - The Stone Mountain is a very nice find !

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
Definitely a nice looking half dollar! Nice hit! I loved bags and then i got cut off by the regional manager. Only downside was no coin machines around me could handle halves, had to reroll them all.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. :icon_thumright: I'll take 1 bag over 10 boxes all day, every day...unless of course they just always bring your dump bags from another bank.

That Stone Mountain half is at the top of my wish list of coins that I feel I have a reasonable expectation to find from CRH. Maybe someday.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Great bag! And congrats on the SM commem and the other finds too. Its an even better find that the SM is in such nice shape. Id sure like to find one of those myself someday. Earlier this month I found my first Canadian silver half and earlier this year I found my first silver commem too - an 1893 Columbian Expo probably in VG condition. The only bags Ive ever gotten were $500 Brinks bags I used to get from a bank a few years ago but I never found anything special in them.

You just had a great nickel score and now a great bag. Congrats on a great month you're having!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks everyone. Basically I've hunted 17 boxes worth of halves this month and found 28 40%ers, 8 '64's, 6 Franklins, 2 Walkers, the Stone Mountain, the silver Canadian, a clad commemorative, 2 magicians halves, 19 proofs, 4 other foreign coins, and 177 NIFC's. I like finding lots of silver, just like everyone else, but I'd trade volume for variety any day of the week. Combine that with the nickel score from last weekend and it's been a ridiculously good stretch. Makes up for some of the skunk streaks.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Bags are often fun but can also come shorted. Congrats on the good find.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread