Short Loomis rolls

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 10 boxes of Loomis half dollars this week. I'm through 7 of them so far, and I've found 9 40% and 2 90% - that's well above my averages and I'm happy. Looking forward to the last three boxes.

I've also been shorted a total of $4.50 on 4 rolls.

Has anyone else had this problem with MWR? I've opened at least 150 boxes before this and never seen this before, but now I've seen it in four different boxes. I'm annoyed, but in the grand scheme of things I'm wondering if it is worth making a fuss about. I know the Loomis drivers don't like all the half dollar orders in general, and I'm a little worried that if I make an issue out of this the whole ordeal might have negative side effects on my whole CRH setup.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens. Machines malfunction. I personally wouldn't even mention it.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't get many short mwr halves either. But occasionally I get a quarter in a roll or some sort of debris or trash (a piece of plastic or something) in a roll that will make the roll short. Of my 149 half boxes so far this year I've probably been short only about $4 or $5 dollars total. But one of the boxes I got a month ago today on 8-29 was short $1.50 also had 9 silver keepers in it which more than made up for the short rolls.

Sounds like this is a rather rare occurrence for you too although $4.50 does seem like a lot from just four rolls. But like ABM said it could halve just been some type of temporary machine malfunction or something limited to just a few rolls. Unless it starts becoming a recurring costly problem for you I'd just consider it another cost to the hobby that hopefully wont start becoming too costly for you.

Hopefully you'll find more silver than short rolls in the last 3 boxes.

H$H!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I think I'd have to be 5 or 6 rolls short before I said anything. If it's a good source, producing silver, there's no way I'd made a fuss - "thanks a lot, I appreciate it and will see you next week!"

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, Loomis is very inconsistent with rolling their coins. Some rolls are 1-2 coins short, some are 1-2 coins over, in the end, it usually averages out to $10 a roll though.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
With both CWR and MWR, I have been shorted
I also have seen rolls with an extra half dollar.

Once a teller sold me what I thought was 10 rolls of CWR halves for $100
but it turned out to be 9 rolls of halves and a single roll of dollar coins.
I called the next day and asked if any of the tellers were short and none were.
She most have bought that roll for $10.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up short about $11 or $12 for the entire 10 boxes. One roll in the last box had only $6 in it!

Total silver for the 10 boxes was 12 40% and 3 90%. Decent enough to not sweat the shorted rolls for now. But my overall average on halves is 0.17oz per box, so if I were to lose $1-2 bucks on missing halves in every box all the time, it would seriously suck.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 3 sealed boxes (2 Brinks and 1 Loomis) each missing an entire roll.
Like others above said, it's best to just replace them and move on.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That is kinda bizarre to get a mwr that is 40% short. Idk exactly how the process works but you'd think someone would notice rolls that are so obviously short like that. Hopefully this wont be a continuing trend for your future boxes. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The roll that only had $6 in it wasn't actually super short (height-wise). It had a coin in the middle jammed in at a funny angle, in such a way that there was a lot of empty space inside the roll. Really odd.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never anything that short. It almost is exclusively in the String & Sons rolls when it does happen.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Kinda strange that just earlier tonight I found a small GW gold dollar coin in a mw half roll from a box I got earlier today. That's the first small dollar coin Ive ever found in a half roll and one of the very few mw half rolls Ive ever got that was over $10 fv. Im only about half way through the box and so far no silver so this may be my best find from the box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread