EBOLA epidemic: should we be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
With the world's fear of an Ebola epidemic looming everywhere, should we as CRH's be highly concerned about coming in contact with this germ. After all, and give it some serious thought, as to how easy it would be to come in contact with it, with as many of thousands of coins we all handle each week, (the pickups & dumps). It wouldn't take long before it would spread throughout the U.S. Think about it, your comments on the subject. HH

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most coins go through so many hands, my guess the connection between the infected
and you would have to be very short.

perhaps even from their mouth to you :dontknow:

only saying there are so many infectious diseases out there if coins were carriers
it should have been noticed a long time before now.

only connection I have heard of so far is paper money and cocaine residue
and personally I think that's a scam also

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very concerned. SAARS, Bird flu, AIDS, Plague, Ebola who knows what you can get from coin roll hunting. Quit while you are still alive!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
most coins go through so many hands, my guess the connection between the infected
and you would have to be very short.

You have roughly a 2 hour window.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very concerned. SAARS, Bird flu, AIDS, Plague, Ebola who knows what you can get from coin roll hunting. Quit while you are still alive!

Or mail your Coins to me.
I'll risk it :thumbsup:

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why delete what I said Jeff?

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Most pocket change ends up in a jar or tossed on a counter/dresser somewhere until there is enough to bother with. Ebola, like most 'bugs', only survives so long sitting around without a biological host, so would die off after a time without something to 'feed' on.

Ebola isn't Anthrax. It can't reside in the soil for 50 years and still be infectious. It is also not a Prion such as Creuzfeldt-Jakob (CJD), which are non-living protein molecules and which reside only in the central nervous system of infected animals and humans.

Even if an infected person (Ebola) sneezes, coughs or spits into their hand before they hand money over to a store clerk at an airport kiosk, and that same money is passed on within the hour as change, and exchanged at another kiosk, and another before it is finally collected at the end of the day and sent to the repository (bank, etc) for counting the chances of an actual infectious transfer diminish rapidly.

Ebola is also not airborne despite what some internet pundits may claim (whose backgrounds in science and/or medicine ended in the 8th grade). Droplet infection is not airborne, and contaminated coins cannot spread droplet infections; only a contaminated host can do that, and coins, paper money, etc are not hosts. They are inert surfaces.

Rascal

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yet another good aspect of silver being used as money (in addition to the fact it has real intrinsic value) is the antibacterial/antimicrobial properties it possesses. Silver in many ways is/was the perfect metal to be used as circulated money/coinage.

H$H!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say money is the most dirtyest "germ" thing in the world.I would just wash my hands real good when done.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just think of the number of boxes you could do under quarantine for 3 weeks....

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Paper currency is probably much filthier and generally contains more germs and bacteria than even clad coins. But there is still no real viable substitute for the real money - which is gold and silver.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if an infected person (Ebola) sneezes, coughs or spits into their hand before they hand money over to a store clerk at an airport kiosk, and that same money is passed on within the hour as change, and exchanged at another kiosk, and another before it is finally collected at the end of the day and sent to the repository (bank, etc) for counting the chances of an actual infectious transfer diminish rapidly.

Ebola is also not airborne despite what some internet pundits may claim (whose backgrounds in science and/or medicine ended in the 8th grade). Droplet infection is not airborne, and contaminated coins cannot spread droplet infections; only a contaminated host can do that, and coins, paper money, etc are not hosts. They are inert surfaces.

Thats what you think,try again:laughing7:

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats what you think,try again:laughing7:

Lessee, I work with infectious cases for a living; I have seen more than one case of Legionnaire's, have seen presumptive Dengue Fever (3rd world environment, no lab available to confirm but we did discern it was not the hemorrhagic version), have worked for months with an active TB case wearing only a mask (I have a beard but save the PAPR unit for serious cases), worked extensively with a couple of H1N1 cases earlier this year.... Yeah, that's what I think.

When the public in general thinks of airborne diseases they are thinking of something that floats around until it lands on a surface. They think of something that can be exhaled. Ebola can be sneezed or coughed, but it can't be exhaled the way a cold virus can. The difference is in the way they settle in the body.

It may be splitting hairs to call droplet and airborne different. The healthcare workers that tend to active Ebola cases wear PAPRs not because they believe the virus to be airborne, but because a simple mask may not catch the products of a sneeze or cough, and even a tiny amount that finds its way into the nose or eyes could cause a life-threatening infection.

Rascal

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any body core temp from 106 on will start to cause brain damage and death...Body core temp is not same as room temperature..

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a few things that have me concerned...Though I am probably making mountains out of mole hills...What steps did/are the City of Dallas taking at its wastewater treatment plant for said contaminated fecal matter and urine from infected subject...Though I don't think the Ebola could survive and thrive in such environs...And does anyone know if the subject took walks around his neighborhood where he may have spit or who knows what else in said neighborhood

The subject threw up all over the place upon leaving his apartment,the idiots had it cleaned off the pavement with a pressure washer.Thats real intelligent now isnt it?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lessee, I work with infectious cases for a living; I have seen more than one case of Legionnaire's, have seen presumptive Dengue Fever (3rd world environment, no lab available to confirm but we did discern it was not the hemorrhagic version), have worked for months with an active TB case wearing only a mask (I have a beard but save the PAPR unit for serious cases), worked extensively with a couple of H1N1 cases earlier this year.... Yeah, that's what I think.

When the public in general thinks of airborne diseases they are thinking of something that floats around until it lands on a surface. They think of something that can be exhaled. Ebola can be sneezed or coughed, but it can't be exhaled the way a cold virus can. The difference is in the way they settle in the body.

It may be splitting hairs to call droplet and airborne different. The healthcare workers that tend to active Ebola cases wear PAPRs not because they believe the virus to be airborne, but because a simple mask may not catch the products of a sneeze or cough, and even a tiny amount that finds its way into the nose or eyes could cause a life-threatening infection.

The one problem rascal is this ebola is genetically different from any other ebola virus outbreak.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one problem rascal is this ebola is genetically different from any other ebola virus outbreak.
Every single outbreak is genetically unique, viruses evolve rather quickly. The guy works in ID for a living and you think you know more than him? Seriously?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Every single outbreak is genetically unique, viruses evolve rather quickly. The guy works in ID for a living and you think you know more than him? Seriously?

It was genetically different when it first broke out.:laughing9:Know him personally?No,I didnt think so.Everybody is always somebody on the internet,that occurs quite frequently in here.:sign10:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread