CRH blunder

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left two boxes of halves in my truck overnight and I thought it was locked. Someone swiped them both. $1000 gone! When I got home last night after my pickup, I was feeling ill and thought that I'll just get the boxes out tomorrow. Now I feel really ill. It looks like my doors were unlocked. I filed a police report. I am going to call insurance tomorrow but don't have a lot of hope.

I feel like an idiot. I live in a small town with very little crime, but I guess there is enough. It's possible that a neighbor or one of his buddies eyed me carrying those boxes in the house from the past. I try to be inconspicuous, but it's tough and I'm doing it week in and week out. I guess covering the boxes somehow would be a good idea for the future if there is a future. That kills my bankroll. So, now I have to start from scratch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to let the banks know. They know me and will likely know the difference between a CRH and a car thief especially since they might still be unsearched machine rolls. I don't know...it just seems wrong for them to cash them in without even a bit of fear of getting caught. I imagine they will hit the coin star, but that would require unrolling them and they may not have the work ethic for it.

I don't think I'll get my money back in the slightest, but I would like to know if it's a neighbor or just a random scum bag that hit a jackpot.

Well, I'm canceling my orders next week and taking a mandatory hiatus until I can get my bank roll back up. It's been fun and I hope to return again someday soon.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to let the banks know. They know me and will likely know the difference between a CRH and a car thief especially since they might still be unsearched machine rolls. I don't know...it just seems wrong for them to cash them in without even a bit of fear of getting caught. I imagine they will hit the coin star, but that would require unrolling them and they may not have the work ethic for it.

I don't think I'll get my money back in the slightest, but I would like to know if it's a neighbor or just a random scum bag that hit a jackpot.

Well, I'm canceling my orders next week and taking a mandatory hiatus until I can get my bank roll back up. It's been fun and I hope to return again someday soon.
Yeah, best of luck. Hopefully you'll be back soon. Give us an update if you happen to find out anything though.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Hey zero, whereabouts in KY are you? I am also in the bluegrass state and would certainly not like to go cash my halves and be accused of stealing them from you. Sorry to hear about your loss. Evil people in this world. Don't worry, they always get theirs.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch!!!

I always searched in my (locked) car, and went directly to the dump bank afterwords... Your just moving those heavy coins way more than necessary. I guess I learned that when I was doing 30+ boxes a week lol.

Good luck!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Your insurance company will almost certainly NOT cover this; I checked with my insurance provider when I started CRH'ing.

I am very paranoid after I pick up boxes, and never carry boxes or bags inside the house until the garage door is closed.

Something to consider: yes, it's almost certain the thief will check back again and again, possibly breaking into your car in the future. However, be aware that you have also alerted the thief that you have large amounts of cash/coins on hand. Even if you never leave coins in the car again, they may well decide at some point in the future to break into your home when you're not there. Might be worth investing in an alarm system or a protection service.

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this was mentioned before on this forum , but I will bring it up again for those who haven't seen it. Be very careful how you dispose of your empty boxes and wrappers. Don't go filling your trash cans with raw boxes or wrappers for the world to see. I put them in old shopping bags, then put them in a large dark trash bag. I definite would not trust my trash pickup people. I don't mean to categorize anyone , but those guys aren't the most reputable of society in my area . Over half of them have some type of criminal record. You also may want to consider keeping your hobby private , even among close friends and distant family members. If you have kids, and they bring their friends over, keep your hobby out of view , in a spare room for example , which is off limits to guests.

Years ago, I had a co worker who collected guns. He had some very valuable guns passed on to him thru family heirs. He was always talking about his hobby at work. One day , when he arrived home from work, his home was broken into, the guns were gone. It took over a year, but eventually it was found that a different co worker was the culprit. Had he kept his hobby discreet, this would never have happened. Sorry for the rambling, hopefully it will prevent members here from having a loss .

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't go filling your trash cans with raw boxes or wrappers for the world to see.

I burn my empty coin boxes in my woodstove. Keeps them out of sight from prying eyes AND provides a few btu's of heat for my house. Summers are cool where I live, so no problem having a small fire in the woodstove on a cool summer night.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I dispose of my empty coin boxes at gas stations when I stop for gas. They have a lot of big trash cans available and I can usually dispose of at least 4 - 6 boxes at a time quick and easy with no problem so its very convenient. And I usually put the boxes in fast food paper bags or plastic grocery bags so the boxes aren't so obvious. Works good for me anyway.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I dropped off my last dump for a while.

A funny departing gift from one of my dump banks: "5% coin processing fee for account holders effective January 2015". Oh well, I'll be looking for a new dump bank whenever I get back in the game.

Good luck everyone. I had a nice run. Almost 300 silver keepers this year.

Keep on rolling!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I dropped off my last dump for a while.

A funny departing gift from one of my dump banks: "5% coin processing fee for account holders effective January 2015". Oh well, I'll be looking for a new dump bank whenever I get back in the game.

Good luck everyone. I had a nice run. Almost 300 silver keepers this year.

Keep on rolling!
What a joke. I'd go in there with a several thousand pennies and stand there and make/watch them count them all by hand, so I got my money's worth! No, I don't trust your coin counting machine thank you very much.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
You may very well have locked your car. my daughter got her GPS stolen from her car at a sports store parking lot. she swore up and down she had locked it. turns out they had punched out the lock on the passenger side door. In your case, they may have also used a slim jim or coat hanger to pop the lock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread