Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cold streak with no silver(not even 40% on the halves):

4 boxes of dimes: Skunk
1 box of quarters: Skunk
1 box of halves: Skunk

I've even been asking tellers for rolls which customers have dropped off(from my experience these produce more silver--but mostly tellers haven't had any, so I've had to take the machine rolls).
This is my coldest streak ever. I won't give up though, because it IS fun when you find 'em--yes, I still remember that feeling. Cheers, 7up2000 from sunny Tucson, Arizona. :icon_scratch::laughing7:

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is your coldest streak ever, you've done VERY​ well.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cold streak with no silver(not even 40% on the halves):

4 boxes of dimes: Skunk
1 box of quarters: Skunk
1 box of halves: Skunk

I've even been asking tellers for rolls which customers have dropped off(from my experience these produce more silver--but mostly tellers haven't had any, so I've had to take the machine rolls).
This is my coldest streak ever. I won't give up though, because it IS fun when you find 'em--yes, I still remember that feeling. Cheers, 7up2000 from sunny Tucson, Arizona. :icon_scratch::laughing7:

Not sure how many boxes youve done but I hope you dont give up after just a couole boxes with no silver- most people here go through 20-30 box skunk streaks
I am taking a break after a 105 yes you read that right 105 straight boxes of halves with NO silver-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cold streek, we were jus there for wife,s hs reunion of tucson high,,,,boy what a big school...
Hit a couple banks an zippo.....brought back memories of there in AF in the 70's

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I tried a few times buying boxes out of a couple banks in Tucson, zip, nada nothing. So I feel your pain! I'm at 18 boxes right now with nothing, actually more than nothing as the past 4 boxes were each missing 1 coin. Don't give up.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped about a month ago because my findings had become SO dismal. Hope you get lucky if you decide to stick with it.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens and more when the armored services employees have all the time to remove silver. One of my the workers in my work place audits Garda and she said the garda employees in charge of removing coke taps, screws, etc also gave enough time to spot silver and pull it aside. They do not do it when inspectors are there but most of the time they do it. AtFrost bank the vault guys can just replace the coin when they spot silvet.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
me thoughts

Not sure how many boxes youve done but I hope you dont give up after just a couole boxes with no silver- most people here go through 20-30 box skunk streaks
I am taking a break after a 105 yes you read that right 105 straight boxes of halves with NO silver-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

I don't have the gumption to ask for 105 boxes from local bank tellers knowing in my mind I ain't been finding any silver. I imagine they get tired of seeing me day after day and asking for the same thing. That's a waste of my time and the bank's. I just do an occasional box now. I usually will unwrap and wrap about 10 rolls a night when I'm watching TV. So it takes me 5 days to get through a box. No need to be obsessive about it now.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happens and more when the armored services employees have all the time to remove silver. One of my the workers in my work place audits Garda and she said the garda employees in charge of removing coke taps, screws, etc also gave enough time to spot silver and pull it aside. They do not do it when inspectors are there but most of the time they do it. AtFrost bank the vault guys can just replace the coin when they spot silvet.

That's an interesting take. There must be some dumb armored service employees out there because I've found plenty of silver(7 dimes, 2 nickels, 1 quarter--2 months of occasional searching). The whole point is nobody catches everything and the object is to go through enough coins to spot the one silver that eluded everyone else--fell through the cracks, basically.

StoneFree

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started about a month ago and I just went through a 15 box streak without anything, then I had a box with 8 silvers, then 10 more skunks.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
From what I recall.. there was a forum member here (long before the current crowd of posters) from Arizona that complained about the same issue. Boxes were all skunks. He tested the system once to see how bad it really was and ordered some ridiculous number of boxes (something like 98 boxes) from local banks in his area. From those boxes, he found 1 40%er. He ordered halves only from what I recall. As it turned out, he got to the bottom of it that the processing facility filtered out all the foreign and silver coins similar to a giant Coinstar machine. This was all from my memory. It made sense for him to not CRH from boxes. Coins turned into the bank in CWRs are ok but the boxes there are particularly skunkish.

A lot of CRH depends on your area. I have not been on this forum in ages. I have been doing this hobby for 15 years. I would say it reached its peak 5 years ago. Finding keepers have been downhill since. Over time, it will get worse as new coins come out. It is already gotten to a point of break even with gas or less for me to continue to do it. Boxes in my area have changed too. Coins all come in paper rolls now so the easy search is gone for dimes and quarters. Additionally I have not seen any foreign or silver coins in the dime boxes I get now. Since the machine wrapped rolls all come in paper, I have stopped doing dimes since they take a long time to search, are skunkish, and moved on to nickels. A big clue would be if you still see foreign coins in the rolls if there's any filtering going on. From what I recall, when the coins came in clear plastic, I would always find a ton of British 5 pences in dime rolls. I do not see them at all in the dime boxes now. If there is anyone at the factory filtering out silver by eyeball, they would not be searching nickels. Silver nickels are not pretty looking, usually dark, and more opted to be passed over by amateur employees at facilities searching for silver. Sadly silver nickels are not worth much about $1 a piece nowadays.

Last edited:
OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I recall.. there was a forum member here (long before the current crowd of posters) from Arizona that complained about the same issue. Boxes were all skunks. He tested the system once to see how bad it really was and ordered some ridiculous number of boxes (something like 98 boxes) from local banks in his area. From those boxes, he found 1 40%er. He ordered halves only from what I recall. As it turned out, he got to the bottom of it that the processing facility filtered out all the foreign and silver coins similar to a giant Coinstar machine. This was all from my memory. It made sense for him to not CRH from boxes. Coins turned into the bank in CWRs are ok but the boxes there are particularly skunkish.

A lot of CRH depends on your area. I have not been on this forum in ages. I have been doing this hobby for 15 years. I would say it reached its peak 5 years ago. Finding keepers have been downhill since. Over time, it will get worse as new coins come out. It is already gotten to a point of break even with gas or less for me to continue to do it. Boxes in my area have changed too. Coins all come in paper rolls now so the easy search is gone for dimes and quarters. Additionally I have not seen any foreign or silver coins in the dime boxes I get now. Since the machine wrapped rolls all come in paper, I have stopped doing dimes since they take a long time to search, are skunkish, and moved on to nickels. A big clue would be if you still see foreign coins in the rolls if there's any filtering going on. From what I recall, when the coins came in clear plastic, I would always find a ton of British 5 pences in dime rolls. I do not see them at all in the dime boxes now. If there is anyone at the factory filtering out silver by eyeball, they would not be searching nickels. Silver nickels are not pretty looking, usually dark, and more opted to be passed over by amateur employees at facilities searching for silver. Sadly silver nickels are not worth much about $1 a piece nowadays.
From my experience, the boxes are NOT all skunks here in Arizona. I've gotten 3 dimes, 1 quarter, 1 war nickle, and 1 Buffalo--all from boxes. So let's not discourage anybody with misleading information...:laughing7: The reality is there is a possibility you will have to go through several boxes and find nothing.
An alternative is to buy a Whitman folder and see if you get enjoyment from trying to fill the holes. Different strokes for different folks. And these WILL sell on ebay if you are profit-minded....???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread