All is well that ends well

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My latest half dollar box contained my first 1964 Kennedy (90% Ag) as an Ender. Unfortunately, there was no more silver to be found in this box.

photo-2.JPG

Now let me tell you the rest of the story ...

I went to my dump bank and fed the unwanted coins to the coin counter. I got a receipt - so far so good. I went to the teller and she made the appropriate deposit to my account. Again, so far so good. Then, out of habit, I asked her if she had any half dollar coins. Typically, the answer is "No, another coin collector came in earlier, and we gave all of the halves to him." But today, the teller said, "Sure. I have two. Would you like these?"

photo 2-6.JPG

Of course, I said, "Yes."

My question is, can I count the 1968 (40% Ag) coin as coming from the box of halves? Or must I count this coin as a "teller" find. I just want to keep my stats straight. Thanks!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either it came out of a box, or it didn't.

Does it really matter?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice ender, too bad there wasn't any more silver in the box. The '68D would be a teller tray/loose half find. Seems kinda unusual that a bank with a coin counter would have any loose halves but its a good thing you are in the habit of asking. Now that I think of it, I've scored occasional loose half silver from banks that have had coin counters too - even a lone "58 Ben from one bank a few years ago. Just never know for sure till you ask.

H$H!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is, can I count the 1968 (40% Ag) coin as coming from the box of halves? Or must I count this coin as a "teller" find.

It came from the teller tray right? And NOT the box right? Then...

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the value of those Kennedys? I have a whole box of em, I got when my Mother passed on. Had no idea why she was keeping them until now.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the value of those Kennedys? I have a whole box of em, I got when my Mother passed on. Had no idea why she was keeping them until now.

The value is $0.50ea unless . . .

Unless they are pre-1971, then the value is melt value of the silver content (with a few exceptions)
Unless they are a known collectible variety (ie, no FG), then the value is what you could sell to a collector for
Unless they are modern Ag commemoratives, then the value value is melt value of the silver content

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread