Cull Morgan and Peace dollars

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure what they are selling for now but with the current price of silver, $25 each sounds rather high for low grade Morgans and Peace dollars. I'm sure if you shop around a little online you could find a better deal than that for nicer coins from a reputable seller. Be careful who you're buying from too and that you're buying real coins and if you're meeting in person, meet at a safe public place. Good luck.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
IMO, If the Morgans and Peace dollars are common (not low mintage and worth a lot more than melt), then to me, I wouldn't pay more than spot (currently $13.50).

If you are buying bullion find a seller willing to sell at spot.
If you are buying for numismatic value, buy the highest grade you can afford.
Better to buy a MS grade penny or nickel, than a common culled silver coin.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought 5 AU Morgans and Peace Dollars today for $25.00 each and Im thinking it might have been a tad too much but $20 for culls would be way over.

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, for the advice. I thought even $20 might have been too high, but just wasn't sure. Glad I didn't pull the trigger.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Melt value might be a buying price for dealers but its unlikely most people would be able to buy even cull Morgan's or Peace dollars from dealers without paying some premium over melt. I just checked and APMEX is currently selling AG (Almost Good) pre - '21 Morgans for around $21 each depending on quantity. And they are selling good or better pre - '21 Morgans for about $24 or so each depending on quantity. Their prices seem to be about the average selling price you can usually expect to pay from a large well known reputable online dealer.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're currently selling in the $20-$23 range on ebay. With the declining price of silver, thats more than I'd pay.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought some cull Morgan and Peace dollars yesterday for 13.2 x Face. Ebay silver dollars tend to run pretty high due to popularity.

Keep your eyes open for deals, don't be desperate. Check Craigslist "Collectables" regularly.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many fakes out there, I'm very reluctant to buy from anyone but a reputable dealer.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel as though some on here have some pre conceived notions about the price of Morgans and Peace dollars here. The market is dictated by what they are selling for on eBay and Apmex among others. If cull Morgans are going on eBay for $21-23 and on Apmex for $22, then $20 is a fair price. Personally I wouldnt pay that, but I walso wouldnt be buying cull Morgans unless they were cheap and I could flip to make money.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
There are low priced and high priced sellers
My suggestion was to seek out the low priced ones. They are out there but likely not as convenient as the high priced crowd.

If you are in the game of buying or selling coins you should have an updated version of The Red Book. It gives a good baseline to understand prices.
Do to their heavy volume of sales, Ebay certainly effects prices but it is the price that an item sells for the counts, not the asking price.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it, but just wait till silver bottoms out to buy.

It wasn't that long ago I was picking 'em up left and right for under 10 bucks with shipping.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone find deals on craigslist? I have scoured adds for over five years, and everything is way over priced, I have never found a single deal. The only deal was for one guy that bought my 40% halves for 70% of melt (three rolls), and they sat there for 3 weeks with only one bite.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone find deals on craigslist? I have scoured adds for over five years, and everything is way over priced, I have never found a single deal. The only deal was for one guy that bought my 40% halves for 70% of melt (three rolls), and they sat there for 3 weeks with only one bite.

I never have. Everything is always way, and I mean WAY, overpriced. I can say the same for flea markets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread