Grubby ol Wheaties.

Howeburger

Mar 30, 2007
MN
Grubby ol' Wheaties.

A while back I recieved change (a quarter and 2 wheaties) at a small town gas station. I marveled at the rare luck to see two wheaties in the same change. The clerk noticed my excitement and said they recieved a whole roll from the bank. Luckily my friend had thirty-five cent in change, and she let me buy all of them from her drawer. The problem is, is that they are dirty and grubby. Does anyone clean them? Let them soak in something? What can be used that will not destroy these coins?
I also have a group of steel cents. Can they be cleaned? I know cleaning coins is usually a major no no.

Attachments

• DSC04408.JPG
    DSC04408.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC04413.JPG
    DSC04413.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Grubby ol' Wheaties.

I've seen posted here that soaking them in warm (dish detergent) soapy water will allow much of a dirt, grease or grime to dissolve. Rinse with fresh water and pat (not rub or wipe) dry.

Also seen, perhaps on the metal detector side of this forum, letting coins soak in olive oil as well. Than do the warm soapy water water, rinse and (pat) dry.

Anyone else ?

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Howeburger,

Here is another method of cleaning the really dirty ones.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html

Its not worth your time to clean every wheatie using peroxide, but if you ever get any that are really dirty then you could use this method. Also it talks about how cleaning coins with olive oil can possibly ruin them, so I don't recommend using it. It looks like the plain old soap and water method would work the best for you.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Have you looked at the dates on the wheaties yet? Congrats on them, grubby or not. lol ;D

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

The way I see it, unless it's a rare one, a wheat is still worth a penny.
I tumble mine with all my clad coins that I find while metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread