BOX or BAG?

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
That is strange that the bank gave you an option of boxes or bags of halves. Banks usually order from one armored car company and they usually have one way of packaging the halves.

I was doing very well on the boxes but then they weren't producing so now I'm ordering bags. The bags produced the first three weeks and this week nothing.

I would say with a box if it is sealed you are almost guaranteed to receive the exact amount of halves,no shortages. With bags they weigh them and I have been shorted three times. Also for dumping your coins if you don't have a bank with a coin counter then you will have to roll all of the loose coins from the bags.

Good luck with your order. Is it possible to order one box and one bag and to see which produces better?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Pennyworth said:
That is strange that the bank gave you an option of boxes or bags of halves. Banks usually order from one armored car company and they usually have one way of packaging the halves.

I was doing very well on the boxes but then they weren't producing so now I'm ordering bags. The bags produced the first three weeks and this week nothing.

I would say with a box if it is sealed you are almost guaranteed to receive the exact amount of halves,no shortages. With bags they weigh them and I have been shorted three times. Also for dumping your coins if you don't have a bank with a coin counter then you will have to roll all of the loose coins from the bags.

Good luck with your order. Is it possible to order one box and one bag and to see which produces better?

The answer is (as Pennyworth says), all of the above!

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
It depends how you look at it. Some local banks offer free coin counting, so I would assume those bags would be skunks for the most part. However, coinstar charges so the aver CRH'er wouldn't take theirs to coinstar. So, if you can figure out what bank the armored car service takes these bags to then it would probably be a good bet.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
every bag I have received has been straight from the mint. All exactly the same. in other words, skunks.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
There are no coin counters in town here, and I can't get boxes, just $1,000 bags.

I've gotten 3 bags so far, results are:

bag #1 - 18 silver
bag #2 - skunk
bag #3 - 24 silver

bag #4 - get in 2 weeks ;D

wolfmann

Dec 30, 2006
I like bags if you can get them from the counter. I carry extra halves with me in case they say they cant sell it till its full alot of them love to get rid of the bags as it ties up there cash. The best ones are the little banks that dont turn over halves very fast. I've had tellers tell me that bag has been there for ten years those are the ones Ilove Best ever bag was 1000.00 with 340.00 silver in it 604 40% and 76 90% loved every minute of it. I usaully try to question the tellers, however if its already in the vault and not on the counter could be someones dump bag.I have not had very good luck with boxes seems about one coin for every 100.00 worth is the norm. Still alot of fun HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolfmann said:
I like bags if you can get them from the counter. I carry extra halves with me in case they say they cant sell it till its full alot of them love to get rid of the bags as it ties up there cash. The best ones are the little banks that dont turn over halves very fast. I've had tellers tell me that bag has been there for ten years those are the ones Ilove Best ever bag was 1000.00 with 340.00 silver in it 604 40% and 76 90% loved every minute of it. I usaully try to question the tellers, however if its already in the vault and not on the counter could be someones dump bag.I have not had very good luck with boxes seems about one coin for every 100.00 worth is the norm. Still alot of fun HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am with you on the bag/box choice. I have had much better success buying the bag off of the coin machine than boxes. I haven't had a great box yet, a couple of okay ones, but nothing great. Since you are ordering from the bank, I think the issue is purely where the source of the coins is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread