Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keithinvestigations said:
Before anyone goes to a dealer to sell their halves please let me know as I will give you the going rate for the silver. Thanks.
Keith, you can go out and find it at face value.

If you do want to buy some at the going rate go to a coin store you trust. Ask to see their junk silver bins. If you buy through the mail at the going rate you will have to pay shipping and ins. Which makes it much higher than the going rate.

If you still want to buy silver, do what I do. I printed up business cards that says I buy old coins. When I go into banks and talk to tellers about my coin collecting some tell me they have silver at home. I give them my card and offer to buy them. I tell them for every $10 face value I will pay them $55 to $60 cash. Their eyes get as big as quarters. :o I am going back to a bank this Saturday where one teller (maybe 2) said they will bring in their silver to sell. (I offer 5.5 X face and the local coin store pays 8.95 X face right now. I sell enough to pay me back what I paid and keep the extra silver)

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
cyberdan said:
keithinvestigations said:
Before anyone goes to a dealer to sell their halves please let me know as I will give you the going rate for the silver. Thanks.
Keith, you can go out and find it at face value.

If you do want to buy some at the going rate go to a coin store you trust. Ask to see their junk silver bins. If you buy through the mail at the going rate you will have to pay shipping and ins. Which makes it much higher than the going rate.

Hey Cyberdan, I realize that I can find it at face value which is what I do on a regular basis CRH. However, I want more, a lot more. Most coin dealers tack on numismatic value even on the worst examples. I don't have a problem paying shipping and insurance mail charges if I can get it a little under spot which is still 10 to 20 % more than a coin dealer or scrap dealer will pay.

Good idea on the business card thing though.

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
I have about 8 rolls of 40% and close to 1 roll of 90%
If you are interested send me a PM and I will get a total count, I can send you a picture of them if you want.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
You want some silver? I know a guy who has a 100 ounce bar from some mine with a certificate and all the documentation. He wants to get rid of it but seems as though because of its size he is having a hard time. It may be because he is in northern WI and doenst have anywhere to sell it. He wants 1200 for it.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Don't forget about silver rounds. You can never go wrong picking up a few Engelhard American Prospectors. Or just about any round. Rounds are always cheaper than coins, but coins are still my favorites. The Canadian Maples are in a class by themselves---just about the finest silver in the world. American Eagles have the same obverse as the Walkers, which I just love. Finding a good coin/bullion dealer is a godsend, but if not, there are a few topnotch internet dealers, as well. If anyone has any bullion questions, PM me. Anyway....back to the never-ending silver hunt. Hunting is so much more fun, isn't it?

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
fiatboy said:
Don't forget about silver rounds. You can never go wrong picking up a few Engelhard American Prospectors. Or just about any round. Rounds are always cheaper than coins, but coins are still my favorites. The Canadian Maples are in a class by themselves---just about the finest silver in the world. American Eagles have the same obverse as the Walkers, which I just love. Finding a good coin/bullion dealer is a godsend, but if not, there are a few topnotch internet dealers, as well. If anyone has any bullion questions, PM me. Anyway....back to the never-ending silver hunt. Hunting is so much more fun, isn't it?

Can you give me a few sites for internet dealers? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread