How much is a good price to sell war nickles?

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50 cents is about right

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
APMEX buy price is just over $0.76 ea in lots of 20 ($1 face)

Attachments

• War Nick.jpg
    War Nick.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. No money spend pn gas. Why cointrackers and coininflation say melt about .96 cents

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. No money spend pn gas. Why cointrackers and coininflation say melt about .96 cents

Economics. Buy under melt, sell for over melt. The % under and over are due to demand and prediction of future price. Silver is cheap now, but hard to find.

Especially small amounts. If you had $100 face value of war nickels, they may offer you a better price.

If it is currently 12.5x face, they may buy it for 10x face and sell for 15x face. They have to run a business and make it worth their while.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody really wants war nickels, unfortunately. Your best bet might be eBay.

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But defies reason since they have a silver contend and you may find one per box so they are scared??

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But defies reason since they have silver content and they are scared 1 per box probably

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The lower the silver content...the less desirable.

Also, they scared of dat ebolas.

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was offered 50 Cents for one war nickel the first thought would be... why am I even at this coin dealer for one minor coin? Even with EBAY, the miniscule profit is not worth the effort involved unless you score a bunch more of them.

Enjoy the coin every now and then and give it to your grandchild sometime down the road. :occasion14:

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low silver content= more effort to refine the silver. That's why 90% coins get a better rate of return than 40% coins when buying and selling. Nickels, at 35%, are less and less attractive as the price of silver falls. At some point, it's not even worth trying to melt the silver down.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin dealer in my area say about .50 cents. I told him forget it.

Any advise?

I really like war nickels. I vote you keep your war nickels, at least until silver is at $30/oz again and people are rushing to grab silver on the upswing. I recommend you accumulate a bunch in the meantime and sell them in lots on ebay as the price of silver skyrockets.

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bertmaster is rigth. I will accumulate them. Thanks
DW

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Low silver content= more effort to refine the silver. That's why 90% coins get a better rate of return than 40% coins when buying and selling. Nickels, at 35%, are less and less attractive as the price of silver falls. At some point, it's not even worth trying to melt the silver down.

Not only is it more work to refine the low silver content coins, but storing them takes up more space. 10oz of silver in 90% halves takes up a fraction of the space and weighs a fraction of 10oz of silver in 40% halves. It's more convenient to have coins with a higher silver concentration.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread