40% Halves Value?

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you dont have to sell them i wouldnt. The price of silver keeps dropping and they wont give you hardly anything right now with the way the price keeps falling if they buy them at all as the 40% are less desirable.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Consider downloading an App called Coinflation. It gives up to date silver and gold prices and will tell what silver coins are worth scrap, plus other good related info.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider downloading an App called Coinflation. It gives up to date silver and gold prices and will tell what silver coins are worth scrap, plus other good related info.

You don't have to download an app, just go to the website and there it is.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Or is there a better place to exchange them?
If you have enough of them, they APMEX buys for $2.15ea
buy 40%.jpg

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Provident is paying about the same as above $4.33 per $1 face.
Good Luck.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I want to get rid of my 40% Silver Halves, what can I expect from a coin shop per coin based on today's rates? Or is there a better place to exchange them?

Coins shops, pawn shops, and even the big metal exchanges are just "middle men." They have to buy at a price whereas they can flip the merchandise for a profit. You'll generally come out dollars ahead by skipping the middle man and selling directly to the customer yourself via Craigslist, ebay or the like.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hardly beleive that a lcd will not buy them. They may tell you they do not want them to offer you less.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Use ebay , just check the Completed listings .If you'll take spot they will sell.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, It goes something like this...." we don't even want those right now, I have boxes full in the back I can't sell. I'd just take them to the bank if I were you.(a few min later as your headed for the door) ....Hey, wait a min....I do have one guy that comes in and buys those, I'll give you 55 cents each for them! So I'll have some to sell him when he comes in." lol
That's crazy! How do you know him?

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hardly beleive that a lcd will not buy them. They may tell you they do not want them to offer you less.
mine does not want them not even for a lower price. Told me it was as valuable as foreign money and he had tons of them and didnt need any more.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine does not want them not even for a lower price. Told me it was as valuable as foreign money and he had tons of them and didnt need any more.
Well, hopefully lots of CRHer will start throwing the 40s back, like they did not so many years ago, I mean, after all, if the lcs doesn't even want them, hell, you might as well cash them in (or email me first):laughing7:

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean dumping knowing you are dumping 40% silver halfs.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read it on here several times, the "old timers" saying that they only saved the 90s, nobody would buy the 40s so they just threw them back. When silver was cheap, a 40 was worth face or a few cents more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread