Its cent, not penny

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's cent, not penny

I'm getting real fed up with people calling the 0.01 piece in the US the penny. Come one guys, the proper term is cent. It pisses me off when people can't use proper terms for highly important elements of life like this one. Those of you calling it the penny should probably feel ashamed but maybe not. I haven't decided on that yet.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
What burns me is those illiterate bastages that refer to bathroom tissue as Kleenex. Kleenex is the brand name. I'm so pissed right now I need another shot of shine...

Attachments

• 303888_270754732958677_767796246_n.jpg
    303888_270754732958677_767796246_n.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 103

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel you can call it whatever you want. I call it both penny and cents. Yelling at someone for calling them pennies just makes the person sound like a stuck up Pr*ck.

Why do they put the word "Pennies" on the rolls and boxes I get from the bank?

OP
OP
danya

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel you can call it whatever you want. I call it both penny and cents. Yelling at someone for calling them pennies just makes the person sound like a stuck up Pr*ck.

Why do they put the word "Pennies" on the rolls and boxes I get from the bank?

CYnciKd.png

They are informal. One cent pieces feature the term "cent", not "penny". It's a cent.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on T-Net for almost ten years, and this debate comes up just about annually.

Now Danya, assuming you're serious and not trolling, what you're missing is that the use of "penny" is not meant as an official designation. It's a colloquialism, like "buck" for "dollar", and informal by definition. Nowhere does it say people have to be literal in every sentence they compose. If we follow your lead then we'd have to forbid "bunny" for "rabbit", "car" for "automibile" and "piece" for "gun".

You must know your campaign is futile. To my knowledge there's never been a national movement to change the term. And really, who's hurt by this? Abe? His last living decendant died in 1985, and from what I've gathered it wasn't because of the rampant use of the word "penny".

penny.png
"What'd you call me?"

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok Danya.... do you call our 5c piece a nickel or five cent piece? the coin says, "FIVE CENTS"...

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Bro... it's not a dime it's a 10 cent piece. This is not good for the future of numismatics

You're bickering over nothing isnt good for the future of numismatics. :tongue3:

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg

Case closed.

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copied from Merriam Webster's website:

pen·ny noun, often attributive \ˈpe-nē\
: a coin or a unit of money equal to 1/100 of a dollar

And from the Oxford dictionary:

penny
Syllabification: pen·ny
Pronunciation: /ˈpenē /
Definition of penny in English:
NOUN

1North American informal A one-cent coin equal to one hundredth of a dollar.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My son also graduated from ITT. I asked him the Q. about 'cent' or 'penny'. Perhaps he was in a hurry since he replied: "WT(XXX) difference does it make, everyone understands it either way." I now regret even having asked him such a Q.
Don...

OP
OP
danya

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand from the U.S. Mint that it now takes 1.8 cents to produce an American penny!
Time for coffee ... :coffee2:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.
Stop feeding him...

Attachments

• troll.jpeg
    troll.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
danya

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other