Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. Silver is silver to me. I did some calculations when I was shopping for 100 oz bars. If you get an OPM bar ("reclaimed" silver I believe they call it) the premium was about 3.1% but if you wanted to get one of those purdy APMEX struck bars with the mirror finish the premium was 10.9%... on 100 oz! JM fell right in the middle at 6.7% for a 100 oz bar.

Once you get to the 10 oz and 1 oz bars you can end up pushing 15% per. Right now on JM if you buy 100 ASEs by check, the premium is 17.8%.

You can think of the ramifications of the premium in a couple ways. Take the ASEs through JM. You can say, I hope silver will rise 17.8% so I can BREAK EVEN. Or I like to think of it as having to pay 17.8 extra ounces of CRH silver to buy LESS SILVER (if you're trading 90% for bullion). If it's cash, it's just $300 down the tubes that you can hope to make up later.

Like I said, to me silver is silver. I'll likely be going the OPM route. TZ, what kind of 100 oz. bars do you have?

Edit: Note, my calculations might come out different than yours. In some but not all cases I included my credit card cash back rebate and/or shipping costs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had 6 a few diff.. kinds. I got spot for all of it. Not bad if you ask me. The silver eagles I got $1 over so I lost $1.50 to $2.00 Not good!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to think silver is silver until I tried to sell some silver shot and solder.

For those that buy in anticipation of using bullion as currency during SHTF, government-backed silver (ASE's, etc) could be the way to go, so the premium payed might be worth it.

Otherwise, for bulk stacking for short term sale, of course the less the premium, the better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions