I Found THESE In A $100 MWR Box Of Nickels

Cedric's

Jun 2, 2014
Eastern US
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Gold Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The box itself was pretty good, giving me 2 silver war nickels, and my first "young elizabeth" canadian nickel from 1960, but these two coins are defenitely a first for nickels. One seems to be a Lincoln Cent error, is it post-mint, or mint? It seems to have been smashed. The 2nd one I speculated could actually be the copper core that makes a nickel. If not, than a much older copper coin. Please let me know what you guys think.

ForumRunner_20141129_082108.png

ForumRunner_20141129_082132.png

ForumRunner_20141129_082201.png

ForumRunner_20141129_082218.png

Upvote 0

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Congrats on the war nickels
The 1960 Canadian nickel is cool
The penny on the left is post mint damage, the coin on the right is too dark for me to see what it is.

Nickels do not have a copper core, they are 75% copper and 25% nickel thru and thru.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought. The flattened penny. We used to do this when i was kid (1960's) by placing them on the railroad track. After the train passed we would find them and thought it was cool. The red nickel on the right. I have dug many nickels that were red , from buffalo's to jefferson's. I was led to believe that this is from fertilizers that were used. Not sure about yours but just a guess. Still cool anyway. I get at least one war nickel a week and love them all.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the 'train penny' theory. When trains still ran more than just every 100 miles apart or so (track-wise) it was a common thing for kids to flatten cents on the tracks like that.

Rascal

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have some of my railroad track coins, love telling my kids those stories and hope to take them out to do it with them someday. The other coin, mix some vinegar and a little hydrogen peroxide, drop the coin in, flipping it after 12 hours and then take it out after 24 hours. Repeat this until you see something on the coin. It will make it worthless but you should be able to tell what it is. If it's nickel that is.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
imo i dont think that penny is a railroad track penny.whenever i did that the penny was so smushed there was no detail at all left on it.try it and you'll see for your self.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread