Never saw so much silver at a bank

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And i couldnt get them. I was dumping dimes this morning at a bank with a coin counter that takes up to 500$ in halves. I had 7 $ in halves mixed in with my dimes and the bag filled. When teller changed out the bags i heard and saw all the silver. This teller knows me and i have struck up plenty of conversations about collecting with her before. She has never and cant ever sell a bag off the maching. I knew i was not going to get any but i asked and tried as much as i could but didnt get any. We both decided to pry at the already sealed bag. What is saw was unreal. Franklin after franklin, and 1964s every where you looked. I did not see one 40% in the bag. I would estimated there were 300$ worth of silver and mostly all 90% in that bag and thats not a exaggeration . I know there was more Than that. Anyway it is what it is. On the plus side the holiday silver is here and hopefully that silver will end up in one or some of my boxes. I ask my self now are coin machines good or bad for the hobby? I would have asked if they had any halves but i know they never do because of the coin counter. HH:BangHead:

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time put $500 in his hand grab the bag and run like hell!!

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time put $500 in his hand grab the bag and run like hell!!

I even said I will go home get 500$ in halves and be back here in 10 minutes ... You can take those and put them in a bag and give me that bag and no one knows anything. It's all the same. She said sorry I can't . It was a really shitty feeling cause it would have been the score of a life time.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I even said I will go home get 500$ in halves and be back here in 10 minutes ... You can take those and put them in a bag and give me that bag and no one knows anything. It's all the same. She said sorry I can't . It was a really shitty feeling cause it would have been the score of a life time.

Heartbreaking! !!!!!!! I feel your pain.

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
That means you increase your orders to try and hope it rolls into some of the boxes or it means the teller orders 500 in halves for the following week and trades out and takes that bag home for herself lol.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That always hurts, try not to dwell and hope they roll back around to you!

The local grocery store runs their own and has a no touch policy and I have seen a couple bags getting pulled that had large obvious silver.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???????WHERE ARE YOU, WHAT BRAND IS THE MACHINE?????? I dump at my CU, they use Scancoin and Magner machines which reject wheats and silver anything. they also refuse to sell bags off the machine. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Port ,,,,,I am in West central Florida
Not sure on the brand on the machines. I have a friend that works the customer service desk at another store and they are forbidden to sell, or exchange the bags. Just been unfortunate to see the silver and always hope to dream. I do check reject chutes and in the past 5 or so years found 2 mercs and a walker half as well as a bunch of foreign and odd stuff.

I do know loomis handles the cash though,, watched the bags carried to the armored vehicle before.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???????WHERE ARE YOU, WHAT BRAND IS THE MACHINE?????? I dump at my CU, they use Scancoin and Magner machines which reject wheats and silver anything. they also refuse to sell bags off the machine. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!

He saw the silver in the bag so obviously it doesn't reject silver.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No clue on brand . I have yet to see a machine in my area that rejects silver. I have seen silver halves, quarters , and dimes in bags. Sure I find the occasional silver in a reject chute but if you dumped a bag of silver halves in any of the machines near me it's gonna take them.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last year I did a dime dump and one kept rejecting. it was grungy and after loupeing it, saw it was a '64 rosie. the counters I use are calibrated by the technicians by coin weight and I have never seen silver in any bag and every time I dump the machine gets a full bag so I see the bags each time. the counter had a problem with the half bag count and the staff had to dump the bag and re-dump it and not a single 40% or 90% was spotted. always find wheats, Canadians and a few times got a silver in the reject tray. lots of stuff under the machine if you care to look there. my best all- time find was a 1986 American Prospector 1 troy ounce .999 fine silver that was stuck in a machine that does not take dollar coins. "fine silver" had been ground off the coin and it was dipped (poorly) in gold by someone who tried to pass it as a gold coin. then some dummy runs it through the machine and I get to keep it. I also like to follow the folks with coffee cans, since they bring their hair pins, screws, buttons and other crap that cause jams. when staff opens the machine I get to keep the coins that fall out and roll across the floor. my total of other people's money is around $50 this year plus a sweet 1909VDB wheatie that sold for $10. now if only customers who re-roll their coins could learn how to count to forty and fifty. CWR's have a good chance of coming up short---- evil person trying to stiff the bank for 36 cents, for shame!!!!QUOTE=mark1982;4293425]No clue on brand . I have yet to see a machine in my area that rejects silver. I have seen silver halves, quarters , and dimes in bags. Sure I find the occasional silver in a reject chute but if you dumped a bag of silver halves in any of the machines near me it's gonna take them.[/QUOTE]

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brand of machine is cummins and again while in the lotto line I saw silver in the bag of quarters they were pulling,,, again I asked and was told they could not sell the bag as it had to be recounted and verified by the bank

Well keep hunting as it's out there

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Brand of machine is cummins and again while in the lotto line I saw silver in the bag of quarters they were pulling,,, again I asked and was told they could not sell the bag as it had to be recounted and verified by the bank

Well keep hunting as it's out there
That's odd. For years I've seen bags removed from the machines and they are not recounted. The bags are sealed as soon as removed, and the count is verified by weight later, by Brinks, etc.
Many banks and CU's here bag up loose coin (from rolls) and it's never counted by the bank, but verified by weight later. Might be different elsewhere.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
That's odd. For years I've seen bags removed from the machines and they are not recounted. The bags are sealed as soon as removed, and the count is verified by weight later, by Brinks, etc.
Many banks and CU's here bag up loose coin (from rolls) and it's never counted by the bank, but verified by weight later. Might be different elsewhere.

I know around here the banks and CU's only take coins rolled and then they unroll them and count them before bagging them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I know around here the banks and CU's only take coins rolled and then they unroll them and count them before bagging them.
I've honestly never heard of that before. My banks would stop accepting coin (shoot, they don't even want to deal with cash anymore, let alone coin) if they had to count individual coins, especially $500 in dimes at a time.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I've honestly never heard of that before. My banks would stop accepting coin (shoot, they don't even want to deal with cash anymore, let alone coin) if they had to count individual coins, especially $500 in dimes at a time.

2 weeks ago I went into one of the banks to drop off a box and they told me that they could not take it becouse they still had not gotten around to counting and sending off the box I had brought them 2 weeks earlier. They said it was very time consuming.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 weeks ago I went into one of the banks to drop off a box and they told me that they could not take it becouse they still had not gotten around to counting and sending off the box I had brought them 2 weeks earlier. They said it was very time consuming.

If I were you I would find a bank that takes bags. It's easy and most banks don't care cause they just ship it out. 1000$ is the max you can put in a bag so 2 bags is 4 boxes and that's much better than trying to get rid of 4 boxes split up at different banks and not to mention driving all over the place .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread