Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's slower for me with hand wrapped rolls... Lot of extra hunters in the holidays i think.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typically found more silver from boxes in January, February, and March than from the other 9 months combined.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typically found more silver from boxes in January, February, and March than from the other 9 months combined.

I agree with this. Most of my best finds seem to be January to april. My guess this is holiday silver but it's not making it's way to boxes till after the holiday

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not Xmas.??? It's Christmas.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and I find more silver in december than all months combined, if I actually contribute to this thread. :)

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Been hunting for around 7 years. They say you get more silver in the winter bc more people are turning in silver. I really don't think I see I difference between the seasons. Only thing I do notice is there is more older silver prevalent after the holidays. Ie walkers, Franklin's, and barbers.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with this. Most of my best finds seem to be January to april. My guess this is holiday silver but it's not making it's way to boxes till after the holiday

Some will cash in coins ahead of the holiday to have spending money to shop during the season. However, what is more likely is that short sighted ppl do holiday shopping on credit. They then have to scramble to pay the piper in the following months.

They end up using every trick in the book to make minimum payments - including forsaking those buckets of coin that they've been saving for a "special" occasion. After all, what's more "special" than paying 14.75% interest to Citibank over 84 months to pay off that 186 piece Chinese-made hand tool set that you gave to your father-in-law (so that he can have something else to forgottenly rust away on far back shelf of his garden shed?)

That's my theory as to why the spike is delayed to Q1 of the following year.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I've got years of data, I've never analyzed it by month to see if there was a "better" time of year. My general perception is that there really isn't much difference. Since I typically only search bags, the only difference I have noticed is that more change gets brought to the bank during the summer months and around the holidays. Whether that is due to people cashing in to buy gifts or just because the stores are receiving more change and thus bringing it in, no idea.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually see an increase around the Chistmas/new year holidays and then again during the middle of the year. Been at this for 8 years.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
December results:
2011 10 boxes, 7 skunks, 9 halves found
2012 18 boxes, 14 skunks, 6 halves found
2013 36 boxes, 21 skunks, 27 halves found
2014(so far) 6 boxes, no skunks, 31 halves found