Do you mark your halves?

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I picked-up a box of halves Monday and got another skunk. I did find some halves, mostly 73s marked with red nail polish on the R in LIBERTY. I also found a few with a black line across WE TRUST and some with a black/purple sideburn mark. Does anyone here mark their halves like this?

I'm also curious if you have marked halves, how many do you think you've marked and how do you mark them? I've initialed 999 halves behind Kennedy's head. It took almost as long to mark them as it did to search them but I wanted to see if I get any of my halves back.

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I like to take an awl and scratch a large X across both sides....... JUST KIDDING!!!
actually a non-destructive mark would be a cool idea! How about a nail polish blue dot over the mint mark?

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I marked about a 1000 with a blue scribble dot on kennedys nose. Apparently some people have found them.

I see alot of 73,74 with we trust with black marker through it, red polish at the top of kennedys head and red dots in his ear. I think there are a few more but thats all I can think of.

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I used to mark the edges with a black permanent marker, but then a friend on here-silver (something) was telling me how he looked at it. Just because we don't collect certain years doesn't mean other people wont. They may want all the '73's they can find because of it's significance to them and remove it from circulation for us.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I can understand that kevo. I felt bad about marking the ones I did since I've been a collector for almost 40 years. I thought I might be getting my own dumps back and wanted to find out. I did think about how I would feel if I was a new collector trying to fill holes in my new albums and most of the halves I found were marked up.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Bigtime, I see you're in Southern Wisconsin. I think I got some of your leavings today. Picked up $200 worth from a bank in Roscoe (IL) and had about ten or twelve with a blue/black nose on Kennedy. Complete skunk. Thanks a lot. LOL

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fropa said:
I'm also curious if you have marked halves, how many do you think you've marked and how do you mark them?

I use a blue perm marker (turns to purple) across the rim. Takes just seconds per roll. I line them all up in a wooden cradle I made and one swipe of the marker.

I think I have marked about $25,000 so far and only got 1 piece back. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread