Several firsts this week

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
PICTURES ADDED OF DDR's - Several firsts this week

I had a very interesting CRH'ing week this week. Posted 5 or 6 firsts for me.

Halves - Went to pick up my boxes this week only to find two of them had been replaced with a bag, which is always a good thing. However, I knew I was in trouble when I didn't see any lint, pennies or other junk in the bottom of the bag. The bag was a skunk which is my first ever bag skunk.

Dimes - Was lamenting that I would never find a proof dime because I only edge check them. In a CWR roll of dimes I pulled out a very nice 1962 proof dime! My first proof dime, oldest proof silver and my second oldest proof coin ( found a 1960 cent ender a couple of weeks ago). Also pulled a beautiful 1900 V nickel, my first out of a MWR, 5th overall V this year.

Quarters - Now that I'd found a proof dime I only need a proof quarter to have every denomination covered. As I was machine dumping a mixed load is odds and ends I notice a quarter that needed further examination. I pulled an '07-S Wyoming clad proof out my own dumps. This is my first proof quarter.

Nickels - Pulled a dateless 1913 Buffalo out of a roll, my first 1913 Buffalo. Earlier in the week I pulled a very nice 1989-P nickel with a sizable clip at 7 o'cock and nice presentation of the Blakesly effect. The is my first good clipped nickel.

Week totals
29 wheats - including 1917, 1919
1900 V Nickel
2 dateless Buffalo's
4 war nickels
Nice clipped nickel, a '71-S and several nickels under 10MM production.
4 silver Rosie's including the 1962 proof.
1 clad proof quarter, 11 gold plated state quarters
20 40% halves, all loose or CWR, plus a clad proof and a bunch of NIFC's.

And maybe the key to it all, I found a bank who offered (I didn't even ask) to order me bags of IKE's. I asked 'are you sure they're the big dollars?" Teller said "Yeah, the Eisenhower dollars, the big ones. I have a way to order them but you'll need to take $1,000 of them. I've ordered them in the past." So there should be an order arriving next week with 1,000 IKE's, or hopefully 996 IKE's, 2 Morgans, a Peace dollar and an ASE! We'll see how that goes, would be my first IKE bag. I have to drive a comically long way to get the bag but curiosity will fuel me. I think I can set up a regular IKE pick up I'd have to do it.

Overall an interesting week for me. Disappointed with the penny results and that MWR and bag Halves were all skunks but still a decent week. The proof dime and V nickel where really cool to find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm sure you guys are right about the machine doubling.

Any thoughts on the last picture? I don't know much about die clashing but I'm never seen anything quite like it before.

Thanks.

In order for that to be a die crack, the surface of the cracked line has to be raised above the normal surface plain of the coin. In other words, the metal along the crack has to protrude outwards.

If it is a die crack, then it's a mint error but even if that, it will only command a small premium if you can get it certified graded as one. The only way it can be worth a lot more, is if you find two of them that has the exact crack and you get them variety attributed by CONECA which is hard to do unless you have two of the same variety.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell if it's a crack or a scratch. The others are md for sure. The last one does appear to be a clash. Would like to see the whole coin.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
This might take forever, but I'm making a little bit of money with the IKE's. Sold 2 nice '74's for a total of $9.11 before fees and shipping.

Just sold one of the '72-D machine doubling coins for $15.50. Funny thing is I posted it one for $0.99 and $2.00 shipping and got no bids. Reposted it exactly the same but listed it at $3.99 w/ free shipping and ended up getting a dozen bids or so.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you list them if I might ask? As machine doubling? It probably doesn't matter. It's amazing how people will pay a bundle for something worth face, then don't bid anything on true errors and varieties.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
How did you list them if I might ask? As machine doubling? It probably doesn't matter. It's amazing how people will pay a bundle for something worth face, then don't bid anything on true errors and varieties.

Enamel - my eBay handle is the same as on here, Twitch. Probably can find it that way. Here's what I wrote:

"1972-D Eisenhower dollar with doubling on some of the letters on the reverse of the coin. The 'ES' in 'STATES' and 'OF' are doubled pretty nicely. There are other more subtle doubled features on the reverse of the coin. Unfortunately I'm not an 'IKE' expert. The coin is circulated. Please see the photo's and judge the condition for yourself. "

Had some pretty decent pictures of the doubling. I wasn't shocked it went for $15. I was shocked the 2 1974's went for $9. I only have about 995 more of them to go through. These are the first things I've ever sold on eBay. It's gone pretty smoothly so far.

Thanks for looking.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see. You were actually misleading in your description of the coin. There's a big difference in hub doubling and machine doubling. Don't be surprised if they want a refund. Hub doubling is worth money. Md is worth face.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread