Several firsts this week

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
PICTURES ADDED OF DDR's - Several firsts this week

I had a very interesting CRH'ing week this week. Posted 5 or 6 firsts for me.

Halves - Went to pick up my boxes this week only to find two of them had been replaced with a bag, which is always a good thing. However, I knew I was in trouble when I didn't see any lint, pennies or other junk in the bottom of the bag. The bag was a skunk which is my first ever bag skunk.

Dimes - Was lamenting that I would never find a proof dime because I only edge check them. In a CWR roll of dimes I pulled out a very nice 1962 proof dime! My first proof dime, oldest proof silver and my second oldest proof coin ( found a 1960 cent ender a couple of weeks ago). Also pulled a beautiful 1900 V nickel, my first out of a MWR, 5th overall V this year.

Quarters - Now that I'd found a proof dime I only need a proof quarter to have every denomination covered. As I was machine dumping a mixed load is odds and ends I notice a quarter that needed further examination. I pulled an '07-S Wyoming clad proof out my own dumps. This is my first proof quarter.

Nickels - Pulled a dateless 1913 Buffalo out of a roll, my first 1913 Buffalo. Earlier in the week I pulled a very nice 1989-P nickel with a sizable clip at 7 o'cock and nice presentation of the Blakesly effect. The is my first good clipped nickel.

Week totals
29 wheats - including 1917, 1919
1900 V Nickel
2 dateless Buffalo's
4 war nickels
Nice clipped nickel, a '71-S and several nickels under 10MM production.
4 silver Rosie's including the 1962 proof.
1 clad proof quarter, 11 gold plated state quarters
20 40% halves, all loose or CWR, plus a clad proof and a bunch of NIFC's.

And maybe the key to it all, I found a bank who offered (I didn't even ask) to order me bags of IKE's. I asked 'are you sure they're the big dollars?" Teller said "Yeah, the Eisenhower dollars, the big ones. I have a way to order them but you'll need to take $1,000 of them. I've ordered them in the past." So there should be an order arriving next week with 1,000 IKE's, or hopefully 996 IKE's, 2 Morgans, a Peace dollar and an ASE! We'll see how that goes, would be my first IKE bag. I have to drive a comically long way to get the bag but curiosity will fuel me. I think I can set up a regular IKE pick up I'd have to do it.

Overall an interesting week for me. Disappointed with the penny results and that MWR and bag Halves were all skunks but still a decent week. The proof dime and V nickel where really cool to find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Twitch, awesome week, I enjoyed the read, good luck with the ike bag, it sounds promising-- don't get discouraged if your first ike bag is a skunk, although I've never searched one, I am sure after a few bags you'll find something :)

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am as excited as you are to see what's in the Ikes, if I were you, I would keep on ordering a bag a week until the cows come home. Here's to the silver dollars headed your way!!🍺

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice week right there. Congrats on all the firsts. :icon_thumright:

I'm curious and have to ask: Just how far is a "comically long way?" I also must add that, "None of your #$%&ing business!" is a perfectly acceptable answer. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thats a nice week right there. Congrats on all the firsts. :icon_thumright:

I'm curious and have to ask: Just how far is a "comically long way?" I also must add that, "None of your #$%&ing business!" is a perfectly acceptable answer. :laughing7:

Just over two hours. I was out of town so I spent some time roll hunting. I can take care of a few other things on the return trip but it's not really a trip I'd want to make too often.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I am as excited as you are to see what's in the Ikes, if I were you, I would keep on ordering a bag a week until the cows come home. Here's to the silver dollars headed your way!!

I'm in this town about once a month. If it shows promise I'll try to set up a pick up for when I'm in town but I don't think it's worth a trip by itself.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Hey Twitch, awesome week, I enjoyed the read, good luck with the ike bag, it sounds promising-- don't get discouraged if your first ike bag is a skunk, although I've never searched one, I am sure after a few bags you'll find something :)

Thanks Buff. My hopes are really low - I'm assuming the teller flakes out and forgets or can't get the bag. If I can get a bag I'll call it a victory. I actually think I can move a handful of the IKE's locally at a profit.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Spoke with the teller today and the bag of IKE's did come in and she comment how dirty the bag is? No idea if that's good but it really can't be bad. I'll go pick the bag up on Friday and we'll see how it goes. I'm a little surprised the bag came in at all!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Spoke with the teller today and the bag of IKE's did come in and she comment how dirty the bag is? No idea if that's good but it really can't be bad. I'll go pick the bag up on Friday and we'll see how it goes. I'm a little surprised the bag came in at all!

Good luck my friend!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everyone else, I'm anticipating the results, but I'd also like to know if you have any trouble dumping the rejects.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet you could sell the reject as a lot on eBay and make a profit. I see lots of 100 circulated coins going for +/- 30% markup, buy it now with free shipping. If you could make that work, then go for that!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITS FRIDAY!!!!

I can't wait to see what that Ike bag has in store for you. Good luck!!

HH

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
It actually was a bag of IKE's! Unfortunately there was no silver in, no 40%ers, no old 90%ers and no .999 ASE's. But it did has a '76-S clad proof, a '73-S clad proof and both '73 & '73-D NIFC's. It also had 18 holed IKE's that look like someone is using the holes to mark the coins. Overall I'm pleased with the bag. I'll try to pick a new bag every month or two. I'll try to do like Avago suggests on move them on eBay for a couple of bucks net per lot. I haven't sorted for variety yet but will let you all know if we find anything interesting.

Also found 6 40% halves, a '64 Ken, a '42-P war nickel (4th '42 P or S in the last 3 weeks) and a '45-P war nickel with steps. It's the nicest one I've ever found in circulation. Pulled a '44-S war nickel out of a coinstar reject chute earlier in the week. Needed that one for the book. Now down to 4 Jefferson.

Found a really weird collection dump today, Nickel and Dime CWR's all date sorted and labeled in rolls. The nickels ran from '62-D to 77-D. The dimes were all '00 to '03 and I'm not talking about Barbers. Seems funny to date sort clad dimes.

Thanks for reading and following the IKE bag saga. In a couple of months I'll pull another bag and post again.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Didn't find any '72 type II's. Did find 1 decent die break and 1 decent clashed die (at least that's what I think it is). The weird part is I also found a bunch of 72-D DDR's! Apparently they're not very rare because I got 16 of them out of 131 total '72-D's. It's not a terribly pronounced doubling but you can see it. Attached are a bunch of pictures, each of a different coin. Any thoughts or info on them is appreciated. The last two pict's are the die break and the clashed die (?). Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
More DDR's

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
And the die break and die clash. Thoughts on the clash are appreciated, I don't really know what it is. I can say with certainty that it's not PMD.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 84

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still neat that you could search the ikes, I would order a couple more bags :)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
From the photos posted earlier, it looked like machine doubling

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually was a bag of IKE's! Unfortunately there was no silver in, no 40%ers, no old 90%ers and no .999 ASE's. But it did has a '76-S clad proof, a '73-S clad proof and both '73 & '73-D NIFC's. It also had 18 holed IKE's that look like someone is using the holes to mark the coins. Overall I'm pleased with the bag. I'll try to pick a new bag every month or two. I'll try to do like Avago suggests on move them on eBay for a couple of bucks net per lot. I haven't sorted for variety yet but will let you all know if we find anything interesting.

Also found 6 40% halves, a '64 Ken, a '42-P war nickel (4th '42 P or S in the last 3 weeks) and a '45-P war nickel with steps. It's the nicest one I've ever found in circulation. Pulled a '44-S war nickel out of a coinstar reject chute earlier in the week. Needed that one for the book. Now down to 4 Jefferson.

Found a really weird collection dump today, Nickel and Dime CWR's all date sorted and labeled in rolls. The nickels ran from '62-D to 77-D. The dimes were all '00 to '03 and I'm not talking about Barbers. Seems funny to date sort clad dimes.

Thanks for reading and following the IKE bag saga. In a couple of months I'll pull another bag and post again.

Wow! No silver but you hit a trove of key dates and varieties! I think silver is close at hand! Definitely interested in reading about the next bag, good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread