Question on coin REEDED edges?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know for certainty if the REEDED edges on dimes has the same number of quantity grooves between the Barber, mercury, rosie's (silver), and rosie's (clad)? Same question can be asked on the quarters & halves. Only reason I ask, baring the fact that the silver white rim is more of a distinguishing factor, the older roosie's & Merc's seem to have Fewer grooved edges than the clad, thus being able to notice the differences. The Redbook never makes mention of this only that they are reeded coins. Or is it just my old eyes playing tricks on me.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting question! Thanks for posting - I've learned something new!

This website answered questions I didn't know I wondered about.

How Many Ridges Are on a Quarter? (And Why Are They There in the First Place?) | Mental Floss

As for the number on each denomination, the Mint kept the same dies when silver was eliminated. The mint didn't want to spend the money to re-tool. However, the number of reeds varies by minting locations. However, it appears they are standardizing.

Here's the excerpt from the website - but do go read what they have to say = educational

--------------------------------------------

Things are a little more standardized now and the Mint lists its reeding specifications as follows: dimes, 118; quarters, 119; half dollars, 150; dollar, 198; Susan B. Anthony dollar, 133.

---------------------------

Enjoy :)

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Deep: thanks for the article info, enjoyed reading the detail, which answered my questions. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread