Canada eh?

Howeburger

Mar 30, 2007
MN
I stopped at a bank looking for some halves. The teller checked in back for me. She called out she only had two halves and one was Canadian. I was puzzled but quickly asked for them. I didn't think Canada had a half dollar. When I got it, I realized it was a 2$ coin. I gladly exchanged my dollar and was on my way. Weird huh, It says 2 dollars right on it.

Speaking of Canada, I went into WF to drop a load of coins. I noticed that whoever used the machine before me left whatever the machine kicked out. So I scooped it up. A $1.25 canadian and a token of some kind. One of the Canadian quarters has 3 cartoon children holding hands. It's dated 1999. I have never seen anything like it. The backside is pretty much the same. I can't complain.

Attachments

• DSC04432.JPG
    DSC04432.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 211
Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Nice finds, and thanks for the pics. That coin of the children, I've never seen one of those either. Just like the U.S., Canadian coinage has a wide variety of designs. I hope to see more in the future. Or perhaps I'll just take another vacation to Canada. It's been a few years, and I'd love to get ahold of some of their old nickels and quarters. Nice haul. HH!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have gotten around a dozen or so toonies this year, most were in half dollar bags.

Also, I usually glance at the garbage can next to the machines at WF as about half the time I see Canadian/Foreign coins in there. I won't dig through the garbage to find stuff, but if the coins are visible on top I will scoop them up. Just a thought.

click

Greenie
Feb 8, 2007
We do indeed have some unique coinage. The toonie is our $2.00 coin, the loonie $1.00 coin. They are ok, but a pocketful of those sure makes your purse or pants heavy! No more paper $1 & 2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread