Other
Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saving all of my copper cents for almost two years. It feels like I'm finding the same or slightly less copper cents and noticeably less wheats per hunt, both rolls and bags. On the flip side, I've found a lot more Indians this year. That is probably just luck and increased volume more than anything else.
I only tried posting copper cents for sale on Craigslist twice, and I didn't get any hits.
I guess I haven't figured out how many pounds of copper cents is "enough" for a respectable bullion hoard. I have eight coin counter bags stuffed to the max, and no inkling of what that might be in terms of pounds.
Since my leaning is towards even higher volumes of cents in 2015, I have to figure out what to do about all that copper. Throwing it back doesn't seem like a good option.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saving all of my copper cents for almost two years. It feels like I'm finding the same or slightly less copper cents and noticeably less wheats per hunt, both rolls and bags. On the flip side, I've found a lot more Indians this year. That is probably just luck and increased volume more than anything else.
I only tried posting copper cents for sale on Craigslist twice, and I didn't get any hits.
I guess I haven't figured out how many pounds of copper cents is "enough" for a respectable bullion hoard. I have eight coin counter bags stuffed to the max, and no inkling of what that might be in terms of pounds.
Since my leaning is towards even higher volumes of cents in 2015, I have to figure out what to do about all that copper. Throwing it back doesn't seem like a good option.

I was running a few hundred dollars worth through a Ryedale every week and selling 68 lbs lots on eBay ($100 FV) and after all fees and shipping pulling about $22 profit per. They sell fairly quickly too.

At the time coppers were averaging 29-31% in my area.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until the price of copper rises and/or there is renewed rumblings of doing away with the one cent coin, I believe you will have a somewhat limited market.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
the market is fine. the prices are down though. I was getting 1.6 cents per penny. Now 1.4 cents is a stretch, and I won't sell there, so I eep adding and stacking. W hen the price goes back up I'll sell again at 1.6 cents.

As for drop offs. YES. As another billion is added each six months, that means more new ones. The older memorials are still about the same percentage versus the newer memorials, but when you add the new shields, that drops the overall amount of memorials to start and thus the amount of copper ones. Dropping badly here. Almost done searching. Just because the ratios are getting so low. I've got about 430,000 pennies sitting in the garage though. Yep, well over a ton. As opposed to having that money in the bank earning nothing anyway, I'll sit on it until prices go up a little again. there IS a market though. "Price cures all ills."

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper has fell off quite a bit. A month ago it was sitting at 3.05. Now down to 2.88.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have $300 fv sitting in my basement. Throwing them in the coin counter next week....no market for them here in upstate ny. Craigslist= no hits, ebay not worth the time/effort.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have $300 fv sitting in my basement. Throwing them in the coin counter next week....no market for them here in upstate ny. Craigslist= no hits, ebay not worth the time/effort.

I agree I might dump mine and free up some bankroll also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread