Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Lil' Granny Silver & Wheat + Super Bonuses

We left my Mom's parents today and drove two hours to my Dad's parent's house for a Christmas visit. As i was showing my Grandmother the two buffalo nickels i found CRHing the other day, she said, "Wait here." She came back with 100-200 coins which we quickly searched. Nada. She then seperated the pennies and told me she was gonna put them into the jar that she puts pennies into for my Grandpa. I suggested we hunt the Grandpa's jar while we were at it. She brightened, and remarked that it was a great idea. I was expecting a couple hundred pennies at most, but she came with a full tupperware of about 1,000 pennies! Halfway through the hunt she got up and came back with a magnifying glass that she said used to be her Dad's. She then proceeded to give it to me for CRHing! I never knew my Great-Grandpa so this was pretty cool. A little while later she said she had something else that i would probably like. She returned with a FREAKING WHALE TOOTH! Her Dad gave it to her as a young child. Well, the final tally for the penny jar was 3 wheats, 3 San Francisco Mints, 5 Canadians, 1 Bristish and a 40%er that happened to be one of the few coins (that weren't pennies) that had snuck in there! I must say i was not expecting a single silver coin to be in there. Let alone a half-dollar! Anyway, i now have a new CRHing magnifying glass with a good deal of sentimental value. When i showed my Dad the whale tooth, his jaw dropped and he exclaimed, "I haven't seen this thing in decades! I always hoped she still had it!" (EDIT: Harry Pristis here on Tnet told me its a Sperm Whale Tooth)

In closing, it was one of my favorite CRHing sessions ever. My Grandmother told me several stories about her parents and grandparents while I hunted which made it even better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
We left my Mom's parents today and drove two hours to my Dad's parent's house for a Christmas visit. As i was showing my Grandmother the two buffalo nickels i found CRHing the other day, she said, "Wait here." She came back with 100-200 coins which we quickly searched. Nada. She then seperated the pennies and told me she was gonna put them into the jar that she puts pennies into for my Grandpa. I suggested we hunt the Grandpa's jar while we were at it. She brightened, and remarked that it was a great idea. I was expecting a couple hundred pennies at most, but she came with a full tupperware of about 1,000 pennies! Halfway through the hunt she got up and came back with a magnifying glass that she said used to be her Dad's. She then proceeded to give it to me for CRHing! I never knew my Great-Grandpa so this was pretty cool. A little while later she said she had something else that i would probably like. She returned with a FREAKING WHALE TOOTH! Her Dad gave it to her as a young child. Well, the final tally for the penny jar was 3 wheats, 3 San Francisco Mints, 5 Canadians, 1 Bristish and a 40%er that happened to be one of the few coins (that weren't pennies) that had snuck in there! I must say i was not expecting a single silver coin to be in there. Let alone a half-dollar! Anyway, i now have a new CRHing magnifying glass with a good deal of sentimental value. When i showed my Dad the whale tooth, his jaw dropped and he exclaimed, "I haven't seen this thing in decades! I always hoped she still had it!" (EDIT: Harry Pristis here on Tnet told me its a Sperm Whale Tooth)

In closing, it was one of my favorite CRHing sessions ever. My Grandmother told me several stories about her parents and grandparents while I hunted which made it even better.

It does not get much better than that. Sharing a hobby/passion with family is awesome.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story. My gram did something similar for me last christmas. She gave me a box and said here you go since you collect coing I want you to have these. It was full of coin books mercury dime books roosevelt books washington quarter books etc. They were all for the most part complete it was a very cool christmas gift and one I wont soon forget. I however did'nt receive a whale tooth that's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story for the memories to keep. I never new any of my four gran-fathers except a few black & white photos when I was only a baby. However, I plan on giving each of my 12-grandkids Lincoln folders (1,2, & 3), of which 2&3 will be complete, and #1 at about 70% complete; that way they will remember me, just like the magnifying glass you have of grampa.
Nice story to read & remember.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions