Year end results from a heavy penny searcher

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I still don't post here often anymore, but figured I'd give some year-end totals on my pennies. And yes, I call them pennies, even though I know England has pennies and we have cents. Oh well.

My ratios really dropped off in 2014. In fact I'm getting close to the point of no longer considering it worth doing. A few years ago I said if it ever gets below 15% I would have to think about it. Well, it is time, and I am thinking. So many of the new shield pennies are sowing up out there and that is diluting what is copper. First, 20132, so you have my base numbers.

In 2013 I found 17.714% copper for the entire year. I also averaged 9.771 wheats per box. I know that is low compared to many here, but out west we don't have the same good ratios as back east. Never have. I'm fine with that. I had been averaging in the 17.7% - 18.1% ratio for three years straight, so it was pretty consistent. I varied on wheats, but was always above 9 per box.

In 2014, the shield pennies really lowered my returns, and I averaged 15.000% in copper for the year (Gee. good thing I said if I ever go a full year BELOW 15% I would stop, true? LOLOL. Made it by 1/10,000 of a percent) My wheats also hit a new low, at 8.7 wheats per box. I'm still okay with the wheats ratio, but the copper ratio, plus the lower price on copper, means the returns are getting thin. Real thin. I may do "some" searching in 2015, but probably not much. Time for a rest, for me AND for my Ryedale.

That's my update. Best to all of you with your finds.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have noticed the big drop in % of copper; running about the same as you. My wheaties might be a little higher, but that too varies per box/bag. I've even been saving ALL grades of the 2009 P&D series cents, and even there I've noticed a BIG drop per box (about 6-9 per). I'm just lucky to have gotten full BU boxes of each of the four series way back in 2009 when they first came out. I think if the price goes to 2.5 may consider selling off. Until then it's still fun to be in the hunt for something unusual with cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions