cleaning coins

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
if they were in circulation you most likely won't hurt them anymore. Most of the time you don't clean coins because it hurts there value but circulated proofs our only worth face in most cases.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
They are all circulated as they were found in rolls or from teller trays. I just want them to look their best. Im trying to put a set together of proofs only.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree cleaning circulated proofs is'nt going to hurt there value. I would suggest using windex or similar cleaned and a paper towel to try to clean them to start. Also ketchup or toothpaste would probably work. Just don't go cleaning any older silver coins as it will hurt the value of them.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For circulated proofs, I just hold them around the rim and lightly rub an alcohol soaked Q-tip on the coin.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Ive collected coins since I was a kid in the 60's. I've never cleaned a coin before. I know what it does to value. I know that these circulated proofs are not worth any more than fv. I just want a good looking set to pass on.
I've heard katchup before. That really works?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive collected coins since I was a kid in the 60's. I've never cleaned a coin before. I know what it does to value. I know that these circulated proofs are not worth any more than fv. I just want a good looking set to pass on.
I've heard katchup before. That really works?

I've only heard of people using ketchup to clean copper cents. :dontknow:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used ketchup and toothpaste to clean everything from coins I have dug up to old pocket knives it actually works pretty well.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Soaking coins in a solution of "DAWN" liquid soap in hot tap water over night for two days. It really melts away the oily feeling from finger prints etc, then just lay them on a paper towel with another paper towel on top, pat dry. Helps clean them up without doing a "polish" job on them.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soaking coins in a solution of "DAWN" liquid soap in hot tap water over night for two days. It really melts away the oily feeling from finger prints etc, then just lay them on a paper towel with another paper towel on top, pat dry. Helps clean them up without doing a "polish" job on them.

Do you have before and after pictures?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used ketchup and toothpaste to clean everything from coins I have dug up to old pocket knives it actually works pretty well.

As has been said before, ketchup has acid in it which strips away the surface of the coin, leaving it nice and shiny. The coin is now damaged. When it does retone chances are it will be ugly.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have before and after pictures?

No I don't have pictures to prove results, nor can it be readily noticeable, but it does remove the "oily" feeling touch on the coin. It doesn't make them "Mint Luster" shine. Try it on some copper cents yourself to see the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions