enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yepper, that's what I'm seeing also. Been checking for news on why at metal news sites but nothing yet.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
junk coins... have you seen what a post 1982 penny looks like after being in the ground for over 30 years? no so great... I've found wheaties thats been in the ground longer and comes out in better shape than those clad junk...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not worried about zinc, just the copper.
Let me rephrase since there seems to be some confusion. Copper dropped in price, not zinc. Look at the stock prices at the top on kitco. It has nothing to do with the coins, just the metal.

Last edited:

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to economic contraction in China, who is the worlds largest consumer of copper.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just hope that in a matter of a short time, that silver will equate back to historical 16:1 ratio. If that ever happens then we could be looking at $100./oz silver.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hope that in a matter of a short time, that silver will equate back to historical 16:1 ratio. If that ever happens then we could be looking at $100./oz silver.

In my opinion, silver isn't underpriced....gold is overpriced.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Isn't it true that the U.S. Mint ran out of silver eagles for a while? Is that still true or did the mint re-sell them again at the end of 2014? I'm sure they'll come out with 2015 Eagles right? I do honestly hope that buyers buy them out fast again. There is a huge discrepancy between the paper and the physical market yet the paper trade seems to dictate the price. The paper trade price is purely controlled by those with big money (ie big banks) that it's a joke. No average Joe goes and buys on the futures commodities market on these things anyhow. Those banks are purely trading for pattern gains not whether they want the commodity. None of them want delivery of what they buy. I don't think this should dictate price but average Joes have nothing else to go off of for price.

Seems as though due to the big copper price drop, it may not be feasible to save or sell copper cents anymore? I sold copper cents a while back, it was a lot of work. I bought a Ryedale for it for $500, I made around $300 in copper cent sales. I no longer use the Ryedale as I don't search copper cents much anymore and if I did on low volume, I would just do it by eyeball. Took a loss on it overall. Still have around $150 in copper cents sitting around gathering up dust. I do like getting wheat cents from this however, that may be the only reason to CRH pennies. My best cent found was a 1912-S in EF condition. But generally, I would think CRHing cents is the now the least worth it of all the denominations in terms of monetary gains.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there ever comes a time everyone that bought gold and silver on paper made a run to cash it in for physical there would be trouble. They don't really have enough in physical and would have to buy some themselves to cover the paper. If the run to collect was due to bank failure or gold and silver going through the roof they wouldn't be able to afford it. The paper would be worthless. That's why I will always own physical, not paper.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If there ever comes a time everyone that bought gold and silver on paper made a run to cash it in for physical there would be trouble. They don't really have enough in physical and would have to buy some themselves to cover the paper. If the run to collect was due to bank failure or gold and silver going through the roof they wouldn't be able to afford it. The paper would be worthless. That's why I will always own physical, not paper.

Would you like to buy a contract for silver and demand physical delivery? Why don't we all do that? Someone who doesn't get delivery on futures market should sue. Isn't that what the futures market was originally designed to do? A farmer in anticipation of future crop season able to lock in prices ahead of time in case of a catastrophe? It sounds good to own the physical instead of paper but the problem is that the prices on the physical are still based off the paper. When there was a large drop in silver prices, bidders on Ebay for physical metal would adjust according to paper prices. Hence is the problem.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread