enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags generally come off machines and may at times have customer dumps inside. On the other hand some hunters have an arrangement with banks to turn in their dumps in bags.
Only way I'll buy bags is off of a counter.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Bags generally come off machines and may at times have customer dumps inside. On the other hand some hunters have an arrangement with banks to turn in their dumps in bags.
Only way I'll buy bags is off of a counter.

So far the only bank I have found with a counter is a branch of my cu 20 miles away from me. I asked them if they would sell me bags and they said that they would not. They also charge to dump your coins there. 6 1/2 percent for members and 8 1/2 percent for non members. This is the same cu that if you take rolled coins to the tellers the first $100.00 is no charge then .05 per roll after that per day. Go figure. I guess i'll stick with boxes.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far the only bank I have found with a counter is a branch of my cu 20 miles away from me. I asked them if they would sell me bags and they said that they would not. They also charge to dump your coins there. 6 1/2 percent for members and 8 1/2 percent for non members. This is the same cu that if you take rolled coins to the tellers the first $100.00 is no charge then .05 per roll after that per day. Go figure. I guess i'll stick with boxes.

I believe I would find something better. 6 1/2% for members is a joke!

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used

I agree. I wish they would sell me the bag from their counter since no CRH would pay that to dump.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

My local CU charges 5% for members to run coin through their counters. Account holders only, no higher fee for non-account holders.

I dump rolled coin there though.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
My local CU charges 5% for members to run coin through their counters. Account holders only, no higher fee for non-account holders.

I dump rolled coin there though.

Do they charge you to dump rolled at your CU?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Steve, ok, I will try not to be all over the board with this. I get bags and boxes, really all the boxes we get ( except the repacks and such) come from bags that come off of machines and bags that we dump at the bank ( I dump bags of 500 at the banks), so you really are technically getting bags sort of.... bags hold a thousand and obviously boxes only hold 500 so you would only be getting part of the bag that they dumped into the hopper at the coin center so you would miss out on some of the Silver that was in a bag that they dump into the hopper because some would go into another box.

Now, the bags that I get come from Brinks, sometimes they are straight off of another banks coin machine and can contain Silver and sometimes I get some elses bagged dump that they dropped at another bank somewhere and then brinks just retags that bag and ships it out ( I can usually tell because the bags will be marked 1 of 4 or 1 of 6 ect... and even have the customers account number on it still! Also Brinks will just fill a couple of bags straight from the hopper and send those bags out to me ( which really is like just getting 2 boxes) and these can be good sometimes. Bags are REAL hit and miss, my average seemed to be about every 1in 8 or so bags would produce. Really the whole reason for ordering bags for me is in hopes of getting the bag that came off of a coin machine in a bank somewhere that has a whole collection dumped into it, those don't come around very often though, I honeslty think I do better with boxes because of all the dumped bags I have to go through before I get a good one. Hope this helps you some what and good luck! HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
And let me add that the only way to get a GOOD bag is not just straight off of a coin machine at a bank, you can still get those by ordering from your courier, you just have to go through what ever else they send you before you get the one that came straight off of a banks coin counting machine which will have you searching many many bags before a good one pops up, but in my experience I get the bag that came straight from the banks machine and not processed at the coin facility, they get the bag from the bank and just weigh it, put a sticker on it and ship it back out. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Really the whole reason for ordering bags for me is in hopes of getting the bag that came off of a coin machine in a bank somewhere that has a whole collection dumped into it, those don't come around very often though, I honeslty think I do better with boxes because of all the dumped bags I have to go through before I get a good one. Hope this helps you some what and good luck! HH, Maverick.

Thank you for your explanation.
This was my thinking that with a bag you have a better chance to score a complete collection dump. However, with that chance being far and few in between I think I am better off sticking with boxes with my current volume of hunting. I would love to up my volume as I have a few banks willing to sell me as many boxes as I want. With no banks around with a coin counter I am finding it very difficult to even dump the 2-3 boxes a week I am getting. I think one of my dump banks is about to cut me off.
Thanks again

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maverick,, here in Florida the bags of .50 I managed to order from the old bank were 500,
same as the local grocery counting service ,that by the way wont sell to anyone, no matter how nice you ask.

And as the best luck I have ever had, was most certainly from the bags. 1914 indian rupee and was averaging 20 plus ag per 500$ then the bank changed hands and that was the end of that.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread