branch manager searching CRH

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Went into one of my pick up banks today. The branch manager occasionally asks me if im finding anything good. I always tell him not much/nothing good. Today as someone was going to the vault to get my box he heard me ask the teller if she had any loose or rolls that customers had brought in. He came over and told me that he personally searches every half brought in by customers and buys the silver himself. This would explained why this has been one of the only banks I have never found silver in a teller tray or cwr purchase.
The box was pretty good. 6 silver
(1) 62 ben
(1) 64
(1) 66
(1) 67
(2) 69

Upvote 0

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that manager likes you very much :laughing7:

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I don't think that manager likes you very much :laughing7:

Actually, just the opposite I think he does. He could have said nothing and let me keep buying the cwr and never find anything. I thought it was very nice of him to let me know. I thanked him and he smiled and said your welcome.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, just the opposite I think he does. He could have said nothing and let me keep buying the cwr and never find anything. I thought it was very nice of him to let me know. I thanked him and he smiled and said your welcome.

That is absolutely doing you a favor! With that said, I have literally hundreds of silver halves in my meager little hoard from banks where tellers, head tellers, and even branch managers have told me that the coins had all been searched.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair game. They do have the rigth to buy coins from the bank. They are also coin roll hunters. Off course they are using work compensated time to crh personally during work but what who is going to tell the ceo or shareholders of the bank.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still buy the CWR's and loose from this bank to take it off their hands.
Believe it or not, at my best order bank, the head teller who does the ordering knows what I do, in fact, she saved me silver on multiple occasions since it is a bank policy that they cannot buy coins (I guess its a theft protection policy??). On top of above and beyond customer service, she always insists that I call her when I want more halves and its always not a problem. Keep in mind, sometimes the head teller is more important than the bank manager when it comes to CRH relationships. Treat all your banks with respect even if they don't like you, there's no reason not to unless they are very rude.
HH
Buff

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I do plan on still asking and buying whatever they have. You never know if the person before you just cashed in a collection or even just one and the manager has not gotten to it yet.
I have a really good relationship with all my pick up banks. This particular branch has told me it is ok to bring back the searched boxes. But I will not do that.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone,

I have never tried coin roll hunting, but definitely sounds like a fun time.

Regards,

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to read the beginners' guide posted in the stickeys on top of the main CRH section.
I recommend starting small, a few rolls here and there and eventually work your way up to boxes. Do not return your non-keeper coins to the same bank you pickup from, and always be polite and respectful!
Hope this helps.
HH (Happy hunting)

Hello everyone,

I have never tried coin roll hunting, but definitely sounds like a fun time.

Regards,

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure do have plenty of unique stories while hunting. I will definitely stay tuned...

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
smart move. You are doing this hobby right.

Thanks BuffaloBoy. Im learning a lot from this forum.
From what seams like such an easy thing to do, go into bank ask for all their silver go home rich, there is so much more to it if you even want a chance to be successful at CRH. Developing relationships with and respecting the tellers and all bank personel is key to this. I have a few small banks that all the tellers save there halves for me knowing I come in a certain day of the week. All I need now is for the silver to be in the right box. Mine

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I got back into roll hunting about 2007, I knew of banking managers ordering boxes, half-filled with silver.
I know some that collect and never sell, and just the opposite.
Silver prices have gone belly up, and are right back where they were after I started.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Steve, it will be a constant battle at the bank for "who gets the Silver first". I have a branch that all the tellers are Silver Snipers ( one of my order banks) but I have still managed to get some good halves from there in CWR, I have had new tellers start there that aren't and don't care about the Silver, staff changes every so often so there is always a chance.

Yesterday at one of my dump banks one of the tellers ( a guy) who I had no idea collected asked me about buying some of the halves he has collected and what they might be worth, sometimes this is an easy way to go too, I don't mind buying it, for a good price, while they do the work of collecting it for me:tongue3:. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Hey Steve, it will be a constant battle at the bank for "who gets the Silver first".

I think You have to have the right mind set to enjoy this hobby. And since it is a hobby I could not see doing it if I did not enjoy it. Sometimes you win and find silver and more times you dont find any. Wish I would have started this 20 years ago when there was a lot more silver to be found.
I have been into coin collecting since I was a kid. There is just something about the sight, feel and sound ( i might add smell also but that might seem weird )of a silver coin that I have always loved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread