Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a tip when hunting CWR'S

got $260 in cwr quarters from one of my pick up banks. as always I weigh all rolls as a tool to eliminate counting and to insure accurate dump totals. ten of the rolls were machine rolled on one end and hand folded on other. of the 26 rolls, ten were short a total of 29 quarters and a penny was in 1 roll. the bank will refund the loss to my account under "good will" policy. the tip is some customers are careless when re-rolling and maybe some are thieves who want to rip the bank off for a few cents. this customer is a high volume coin depositor and likely the employee who sends coins to the bank is also probably leaving their job with a pocket full of stolen money daily (to the tune of hundreds of $ yearly if not monthly). the vault teller says she will audit the deposits from this customer and they will require customer info on deposited rolls. to those who will say I am rocking the boat, be aware some banks appreciate when courtesy and service is a two way street. most of their business customers do not want CWR's due to the constant short rolls!

Upvote 0

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank does not accept rolls back. They runn all through the machine. Do not rely on weigth only. You may miss the 1964 quarter clad or the 1965 quarter silver. Lol

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as I always say, weight is ONLY A TOOL, just look at any roll of dimes and you will see a wide variance in planchet thicknesses. if you weigh you always know if a roll is short or extra, minus the keepers I know the exact amount the machine will tally. no breathing hunter would dismiss a roll without searching it. have scored plenty of silvers in average weight dimes, halfs, etc., but I can also tell with high accuracy if a roll has a crappy steel light Canadian. a dime roll under 113.8 Gms= Canadian, nic roll under 199= Canadian, qtr. roll under 227=the same. the lightest roll from the short batch was 205 Gms.= 4 short. a scale to a CR hunter is like knee pads to an MD'er, just another tool. hh

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You would hate to get my rolls that I dump at the bank monthly. All my clad from MD'ing is rolled and paid with my mortgage. I don't bother cleaning the crap. Some zincolns are so rotted that it is literally a half a cent. Some have concretion so thick that they might take up the thickness of 2 or 3 cents. Mower coins get stuffed in the rolls. Some quarters still have shells on them. It can be a challenge trying to squeeze the crap into a roll.

As far as my mortgage is concerned, it is always two boxes of re-rolled dumps. I don't count the rolls. If I'm shorted by Loomis, then they'll get the short rolls back. Garbage In - Garbage Out. I don't intentionally defraud the bank, but I'm not going to go out of my way to count every single coin that comes out of a roll and compensate for shortages. If I keep one, then I'll replace one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread