red quarter...help

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While CRH a box of quarters, I found a "red" quarter. Not knowing what it is, i set it aside. It hasn't been "dipped"--it's too clean and uniformly colored to have been dipped by an amateur. Does anybody know what it is?

It's actually gold colored(I remembered incorrectly) and it was definitely issued from the mint this way.
IMG_2887.JPG IMG_2888.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Some establishments with juke boxes would use painted quarters to get some music going with the hopes that the patrons would get inspired to drop more quarters into the machine. When they emptied the machine, they would know the painted ones were their own and not part of the "revenue."
That's just one story I've heard of the painted quarters, but no matter the source it's not a mint product/error and just worth 25 cents. Though without a picture I can't say for certain, but that's what it sounds like anyway.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
When I was a kid the community swimming pool had picnics on holidays, memorial day, 4th of july and labor day. They always the "quarter dive" where they would through a lot of quarters into the pool and let the kids dive in for them. There were always a few painted red that if you got one of them you got a special prize. Usually a coupon to the snack bar.
This was in the mid 60's so I would imagine that some of them were silver quarters.

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it could either be fairly heavily toned or gold-plated after leaving the mint. Either way, pretty much just worth a quarter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread