Funny half dollar story

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Wendy's the other day to get a soda. I paid using $3 in halves, naturally. Older woman looks at the coins, looks at me, looks back at the coins, puts them in her drawer, the whole time there is a look of either confusion or disgust in her face. She hands me my soda and change, and as I am about to drive away I overhear her yell to one of her co-workers "I sure hope these aren't STOLEN!" :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Who the hell is John F Kennedy?" -Back to the Future.

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid for a coffee in half dollars at Dunkin Donuts last week.....the young cashier looked perplexed....after about 15 seconds she said to me...."these are worth 50 cents each...right?"....I
Told her yes ......I guess my confirmation was not enough as I heard her ask a co-worker then a manager....All of this was quite amusing.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
try giving the youngsters a susan b -- a ike -- a sac --and a half for 3.50--- let the fun begin..lol

uh we don't take foreign money....LOL
:tongue3:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to go to a convenience store which I don't particularly like, and handed them a $2, ike, sba, saq, bicentennial half dollar, and a regular half dollar... they were sooo confused!!
try giving the youngsters a susan b -- a ike -- a sac --and a half for 3.50--- let the fun begin..lol

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:coffee2: Why are we still surprised when a young kid doing the checkout at the store gets confused when they are handed dollar coins or half dollars? After all with the way schools are teaching math today, they can't even figure out the change without the cash register telling them how much change they need to give back. Also the vast majority of them have never seen either dollar coins or half dollar coins. I use these as a opportunity to teach them something not make fun of them.
HH
Gary

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy seeing people's reactions when I am spending halves and Ikes, haha. It never gets old.

HH

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try giving the youngsters a susan b -- a ike -- a sac --and a half for 3.50--- let the fun begin..lol uh we don't take foreign money....LOL :tongue3:

I have been wanting to video something similar, pay with an Ike, Ike bicentenniel Sacagewea, Presidential dollar, Kennedy half , Kennedy bicentenniel, dateless buffalo, worn v nickel, 2 dollar bill, Susan B..... Would be classic!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut the kids that get confused some slack. Its very likely that unless they come from a coin collecting family, they have never seen nor even heard of a half dollar coin.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to Wal-Mart (ugh I hate going there) last night and didn't find what I was wanting, but I got thirsty, so I grabbed a Pepsi and gave the cashier a $2 bill.

"Oh, I know they are real, I just want to make sure that we take these."

5 minutes later, she's still waiting on a manager to come over!

Thank goodness the guy in line behind me just gave her 2 $1 bills so she didn't waste any more of my (and his) time.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I wrote this a few years ago but plays right into this discussion. Wendy's for lunch bill was about $5.50, counted out the right amount of halves and laid them on the counter. The young girl picked up one and looked at it, said what are these? I said halves. She said who makes them? I said the US government makes them. She said how much are they worth? I said 50 cents. She then said I don't think I can take them. I said you can't, why not? She said there is no place in my drawer for them. I said we have a problem as that is how I'm paying for my lunch. She calls the manager and he looks at the coins, hears her say they are not going to fit in her drawer, and he said, they don't look like anything else in your drawer, put them in that empty spot where the rolls of coins are and we will all be fine. I got my lunch and a good laugh.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i handed the girl at McDonalds some halfs to pay for my food she hands me back dollar bills and 17 cents. I tell her no she owes me 17 cents she looks at the halfs OH THESE ARE ONLY 50 cents I thought they were dollars.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i handed the girl at McDonalds some halfs to pay for my food she hands me back dollar bills and 17 cents. I tell her no she owes me 17 cents she looks at the halfs OH THESE ARE ONLY 50 cents I thought they were dollars.

I've had that happen several times.

That and if you pay with SBAs they think they are quarters.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If you're from the future, then who's the President?"
"Ronald Reagan."
"The actor?"
"Ya, the actor - and he's the best president of my lifetime!"

- Back to the Future.

Ok, I added the last line. But to keep this non political, I scored a '27S Lincoln cent from a roll yesterday, filling another hole in my CRHing Lincoln cent folder. Sweet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions