VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I thought I'd give this CRH a try. After reading a bunch of posts on here, I went into my first bank and asked if I could please purchase any halves they have in stock. The teller had no idea what a halve was so after explaining it to him, his mgr came over. Again I asked if I could purchase what halves they had. He asked me why I wanted them and if I was looking for silver. I told him I own a business in town, which is true, and that I wanted to hand them out as change as a way for people to remember our place, which isn't so true. He went on to tell me how all his tellers are trained from day one to look for silver coins and that the only way I was ever gonna find any is if I ran into a new teller who didn't know any better. After leaving that bank I decided to call another, as I read in a post here, and ask over the phone and again I got a similar response. Both banks were WF which made me think that maybe I should try a different bank and a different approach. Any tips on how to ask without throwing up red flags?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ask at different banks and try not to be paranoid. It's no big deal really. People ask for coin all of the time.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
So I thought I'd give this CRH a try. After reading a bunch of posts on here, I went into my first bank and asked if I could please purchase any halves they have in stock. The teller had no idea what a halve was so after explaining it to him, his mgr came over. Again I asked if I could purchase what halves they had. He asked me why I wanted them and if I was looking for silver. I told him I own a business in town, which is true, and that I wanted to hand them out as change as a way for people to remember our place, which isn't so true. He went on to tell me how all his tellers are trained from day one to look for silver coins and that the only way I was ever gonna find any is if I ran into a new teller who didn't know any better. After leaving that bank I decided to call another, as I read in a post here, and ask over the phone and again I got a similar response. Both banks were WF which made me think that maybe I should try a different bank and a different approach. Any tips on how to ask without throwing up red flags?

I think you have your dump banks. Hope you find some banks that will sell you coins. Good luck.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no "red flags." You aren't doing anything wrong nor anything that requires secrecy. Half dollars do not circulate. Most banks rarely see half dollars unless they are a regular dump bank of a CRHer. Some bank employees pick the silver before you can get to it. Its a numbers game. The more banks you hit, the more likely you are to find halves that have not been cherry picked over.

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How are they trained on, Looking out for silver if they dont know what a "half" dollar is? I call BS... seems like the manager is the one looking for silver, and using his position to do it..

OP
OP
VERODIGDUG

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's kinda what I figured was going on

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are they trained on, Looking out for silver if they dont know what a "half" dollar is? I call BS... seems like the manager is the one looking for silver, and using his position to do it..

He very well might be. Most of us would do the same. I certainly would.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im sure 100% of the people on here, would do the same thing. Hell if i was a manager of a branch, I would check all the boxes looking for enders...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread