Cant believe what happened! Read this

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't believe what happened! Read this

So I just started getting into coins and decided after some reading to coin roll hunt. I'm 17 and I went to one bank and asked for some 50 cent rolls and they said no they didn't have any. So I went to one more bank so 2 in total and asked them. They acted weird like why would anyone want 50 cent pieces but ended up having 3 lousy $10 rolls of 50cent pieces. I went home discouraged and opened the first roll and absolutely nothing. But I noticed that the second roll I was gonna open smelled old, was damp, and just gross. I slowly opened it opened it up and out of the 20 coins in the roll 10 of them were silver. I freaked out haha I had never seen so many before. 10 silver 50 cent pieces in one roll. That is crazy. Needless to say the last roll had nothing. But wow 10silver pieces in my first hunt. I know it will never happen like that again but dang it was cool.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent silver find!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool deal ! Beginners Luck :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea thanks guys! Should I turn in the non silver ones back for cash or are there some worth keeping that aren't silver? New to coins in general so any help would be appreciated. Does anyone feel bad that the banks think they are getting rid of their halves just for you to return the next day with them haha? Go to a different bank maybe? Also the teller told me they had some Ike's should I pick those up as well?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look for the 40% 'ers they may be a little harder to see on occasion (1965 to 1970)

other then that :dontknow: will take someone else to say

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea thanks guys! Should I turn in the non silver ones back for cash or are there some worth keeping that aren't silver? New to coins in general so any help would be appreciated. Does anyone feel bad that the banks think they are getting rid of their halves just for you to return the next day with them haha? Go to a different bank maybe? Also the teller told me they had some Ike's should I pick those up as well?

DON'T carry them back to the same bank you got them from, that'll get you cut off really quick.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and maybe with your luck, Ask if you can Trade them for Dime Rolls :laughing7:

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other

Go to a different bank to deposit them... or spend them. You'll get a kick out of some 17 year old cashier girl who has no idea what a half dollar is. Same with the Ikes. Buy, search, sell back to a different bank or spend.

Were all of the silvers 1964 Kennedy?

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gas money right there, it does not warrant a trip to the bank just for 20$....

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are hooked.

There is a very informative thread at the the top that I would recommend reading

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas money right there, it does not warrant a trip to the bank just for 20$....
Idk what this is supposed to mean but there are literally like 4 banks on my way home from school no gas money needed to get coins for me....

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Idk what this is supposed to mean but there are literally like 4 banks on my way home from school no gas money needed to get coins for me....

Liu21 is implying you spend the money on gas (or something else) instead of making a trip back to a bank to cash the coins. I just used some halves last night to buy a pizza.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and great start. I had been "in the hobby" for months before I had acquired 10 silver halves.

As others have stated, do not return the rejects to the same bank that sold them to you. I know that you don't fully understand why at this early point in your roll hunting, but just trust those of us that have been doing this awhile. You need to make friends at the banks, not enemies. If you become known as the guy who buys rolls, searches them, and then returns them, I can assure you that there will be none to buy when you ask.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

Never return dumps to the same bank. Always return the dump coins to other banks, or just save them and use them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread