Best single coin of my career!!! Silver Commemorative

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my $6k in this week in halves and was pretty excited in my last bag I went through. About half way through I pulled an 1946 Iowa Statehood Commemorative coin, plus 2 bens and a 64 and a few 40%s. Normally I wouldn't post this mediocre find amout, but I had to since I scored my 2nd comm. Totals for 6k=1 iowa comm., 6-64s, 2 bens, 11-40%. Looks like the iowa is worth about $70-80. Closed on a new home today for the family and I, excellent day. I snapped a couple of close ups on the iowa...enjoy. And I'd be happy to trade it for bens if the number is right!!!!! 20150204_205153.jpg 20150204_205300.jpg 20150204_205455.jpg

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what an incredible silver commemorative find!! Glad that it could go to someone who appreciates it :D

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find on the Iowa, I'm looking for one of those for my silver commemorative type set! :thumbsup:

Some of those silver commemoratives go for lots of money!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I found one last year too!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a great coin, and a fantastic CRH find, but there really is no reason (other than simply if you want to) to get this coin professionally graded...unless you're going to sell and you think it would grade MS67+. The value from EF40 to MS60 doesn't jump much at all. My guess is that if you put this on ebay or the like, it would sell in the neighborhood of $80-$100. If you sent it to PCGS for grading and then put it on ebay, I believe it would still fetch the same $80-$100. Maybe a few bucks higher, but not enough to pay for having it graded.

OP
OP
halfhunter

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have to agree with you, but then again I wonder what it could fetch for a grade. My dad and I went to a local pawn shop about 3 months ago, and they had a whole bucket of commemoratives. All different ones. Missouri, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Vermont, Illinois, Iowa, Stone Mountain, Oregon trail, and about 15+ others that I cant think of off the top of my head. The guy was calling them junk silver and sold them all to me for $8 each!!! He wanted $12 for the booker t and Washington's. We bought every one of the "commons" hahaha for $8 each pry around 60ish of them all different types and all in very nice condition.
Its a great coin, and a fantastic CRH find, but there really is no reason (other than simply if you want to) to get this coin professionally graded...unless you're going to sell and you think it would grade MS67+. The value from EF40 to MS60 doesn't jump much at all. My guess is that if you put this on ebay or the like, it would sell in the neighborhood of $80-$100. If you sent it to PCGS for grading and then put it on ebay, I believe it would still fetch the same $80-$100. Maybe a few bucks higher, but not enough to pay for having it graded.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Id have to agree with you, but then again I wonder what it could fetch for a grade. My dad and I went to a local pawn shop about 3 months ago, and they had a whole bucket of commemoratives. All different ones. Missouri, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Vermont, Illinois, Iowa, Stone Mountain, Oregon trail, and about 15+ others that I cant think of off the top of my head. The guy was calling them junk silver and sold them all to me for $8 each!!! He wanted $12 for the booker t and Washington's. We bought every one of the "commons" hahaha for $8 each pry around 60ish of them all different types and all in very nice condition.

I don't have my Redbook in front of me, but I know that the Missouri commemoratives sell for good money on eBay (there are like 2 or 3 being bid on that are currently under $100, but the rest of them that are listed people are wanting $300+).

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh man! Im trying to build a collection of those. I would have lost my mind seeing them for those prices

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. The only conmemorative I have found was a clad half

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread