Cleaning coins...

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You won't help the value by cleaning, only potentially harm it.....

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
do any of you do it? I clean the ones with very low numismatics value, because i like my stack looking shiny. Im not in CRH to find and sell right away. Im just trying to build my silver stack between my bullion purchases. Please share your opinion.

This has been hashed and rehashed on here. Some people are fine with it and die hard numismatists will chastise you for cleaning or even mentioning cleaning coins.

I have before on some of my junk silver stuff, and some really filthy coins (that are grungy and hard to see the dates on them) but stuff that has actual value, I don't touch, regardless.

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it considered cleaning if i use a dry cloth to wipe off some dirt or grime that is on the coin?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the coins won't fetch greater values than melt, do what makes you happy... junk silver such as 1964 kennedy halves and regular 40%ers won't decrease in value if cleaned, even harshly.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
There is zero reason to go it.
Toned and older looking coins have more eye appeal then polished up silver coins. Other then hurting the value there isn't much else accomplished from cleaning

benlee53

Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here in thailand they won't take a coin if its dirty like off the beach or been in the water and tarnished .it make it almost not worth your while until you get the gold rings

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shininess of my stack, or lack thereof, doesn't bother me. When it comes to silver, the only metric that I care about is the size of my stack.

I would never clean anything that has numismatic or collector value, but do what your heart tells you.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know cleaning some coins are bad. I wouldn't clean a 1921 D merc if i found one, but i would clean a 1944 merc depending on the grade, as it would have nothing more than a few cent above melt value.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Opinions are like bellybuttons...and to each his own. I've made profit selling dipped Kennedys over non-dipped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread