Any ideas on this Half Dollar?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys earlier i got this bicentennial half dollar searching rolls. When I opened a roll the edge immediately stood out to me as being a 40% but when I pulled it out it ended up being a 1976 bicentennial S mint mark. I looked it up and still have no idea if its silver or not any ideas on what it's worth? My local coin shop said face value but they've lied before. image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were clad and 40% silver bicentennial proofs, so you're probably right! I'm surprised they didn't offer you at least a buck if they're worth over 2 in melt.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh. The coin guy told me no silver at all. And told me 50 cents. I saw somewhere thy made these in nickel clad with no silver at all. I'm confused really whats it worth anyone?

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one recently as well. There is a slight weight difference if you have a good gram scale. The silver one weighs 0.1 grams more.

Congrats...I have only found one in two years of CRH.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one recently as well. There is a slight weight difference if you have a good gram scale. The silver one weighs 0.1 grams more.

Congrats...I have only found one in two years of CRH.
If I don't have a scale how can I tell? I tried the tissue paper test where you see if its white and it is very slightly but not as much as another 40%. Looking back through the roll I found a proof 1971 half as well in the same roll. S mint mark. Are these worth anything?

Last edited:

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weight is the only sure way to tell but if you have a good ear, then you can drop it and compare it to another 40%. It's most likely a 40% if it has a silver edge unless someone plated it.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weight is the only sure way to tell but if you have a good ear, then you can drop it and compare it to another 40%. It's most likely a 40% if it has a silver edge unless someone plated it.
I found a 1971 S proof half as well worth anything? This is confusing lol and on the edge of the 1976 it isn't straight silver it looks like the edge of a 40%

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The clad 71s is only worth 50 cents but they are fun to collect.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, clad proofs are more rare than the regular business strikes and are more collectable. So, they might be worth a little more to the right buyer...maybe...someday.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1971 proof, 1976 proof (possibly silver?) both from one roll. Almost rolled them back up until I looked at them closer, the 1971 was really shiny lol image.jpg

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally the metal looks whiter on the 76 proof which is a good hint it's silver (but it can also be environmental damage or the angle of the picture).

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea thanks dude I'm pretty sure it is silver by the way. I'm new to coin roll hunting and coins in general, are proofs worth anything like the 1971 S I found?

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get some tooth paste, and start rubbing it. if the tooth paste turns black, you got silver.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Here are the two 76s proof halves I have found recently. (1) clad (1) silver. The silver one is on the left. Harder to tell the difference in the pic. In person real easy to tell the difference. Looking at the rims makes it really easy.

ForumRunner_20150210_195144.png

ForumRunner_20150210_195157.png

ForumRunner_20150210_195213.png

Im also putting together a set of proofs just for the fun of it. Been finding alot lately. Including my first pre 71 s proof. A 1968s proof.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug into my archives and found this pic. It's a 40% 1976-S silver proof in between two clad proofs I found last year.

IMAG0128.jpg

Also, the sound check is always my go-to check for silver. If you're good you can hear the difference between clad, 40% and 90%. Your coin shop guy was either ill-informed or trying to screw you out of a couple bucks. What makes it confusing is that they issued both clad and 40% silver proofs with the "S" mint mark in 1976.

If it looks like silver, it's probably silver. But not always. As others have said, the clad proofs pulled from circulation are impaired and aren't worth face value to numismatics (but could be worth more than face to some noob on eBay if you put together a nice shiny listing)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread