teller pulling out the silver

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Went into a bank today and asked a teller if they had any halves. She said no but pointed to the teller two windows down. I went down and he asked if I was looking for silver. I saw what he was doing. He had a pile of brown half wrappers and two piles of halves on the counter. One clad and the other pile had about 20 to maybe 25 silver halves. He said that he was pulling out all the silver halves for himself and that all the tellers in that branch give all their halves to him. I can't blame him but that was tough to see.

Upvote 0

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a similar situation this past weekend as well. The best you can really do is make an offer to buy them off of him, maybe split the profit. Some tellers know enough to pull silver but not what it's worth. Some just like to hoard for the sake of it without any knowledge. Maybe make an offer, you never know.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Had a similar situation this past weekend as well. The best you can really do is make an offer to buy them off of him, maybe split the profit. Some tellers know enough to pull silver but not what it's worth. Some just like to hoard for the sake of it without any knowledge. Maybe make an offer, you never know.

He knew what they were worth. He said he was waiting for silver to go back up to sell them.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
The next best thing and last ditch effort in my opinion is to educate the other tellers enough to buy it themselves and sell it to you instead. If they know you'll pay them 10x face instead of the guy paying face and taking advantage of them, they might just start saving for you.

This past weekend the branch manager at one of my dump banks bought $50 FV mixed denom. silver that an old lady brought in from a teller for $50. Knowing he's just going to jump on it as soon as it comes in, I made sure the teller who got taken advantage of knows that if she buys it for herself and sells it to me I will pay her a fair price.

Like I said, it's a last ditch effort in educating the tellers. You're risking them just keeping it for themselves, but how is that any worse than them giving it away to another teller? It's your last move in my opinion... out-snipe the sniper.

Last edited:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh that's annoying I would be pissed off to see that. One bank by my house there's this teller who is very educated on halves and told me that I wouldn't find any silver anymore these days and that he goes through all the halves they get. So in return I drop a ton and I mean a lot of skunk halves on them lol. I wonder if he even goes through them anymore

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I don't blame him at all for doing it. I feel that he has every right to do it. He works there. Every job has its perks. It was just hard to watch him doing it so out in the open.
Fortunately it is a bank that is not in my normal hunting area. I only get by there about once every few months.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Avago said was good advice, or you could dump big time on that teller. Let him search your dumps.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lucky for me I got more banks then i can cover, only know one bank that has a teller pulling silver...

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same happened this week except teller was hanging on to a clad ike dollar like it was gold :laughing7::laughing7:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too bad if a teller or manager is sniping, but not surprising. But I'd rather know than not know - I may be wasting my time at lots of banks where someone is sniping and I don't know it.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Unfortunately this is a bank that I do not have an account at and their policy is to not exchange coins for non customers. Besides, he is doing his searching while on the clock so it is not an inconvienance for him to search as many rolls as come in. He is getting paid hourly. Talk about a win/win.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider what he earns per hour is likely very low so he's trying to supplement his income with what silver he can skim.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately this is a bank that I do not have an account at and their policy is to not exchange coins for non customers. Besides, he is doing his searching while on the clock so it is not an inconvienance for him to search as many rolls as come in. He is getting paid hourly. Talk about a win/win.

:coffee2: If he's dong this on bank time, than he's not doing his job. The branch manager might want to know about that. Since they don't exchange coins for non customers the manager might not let him do this anymore & the silver might be available for another crh (unfortunately not you) to get. Just a thought. I have a problem when a teller does that in front of me. I don't mind if the bank allows them to do it but not in front of me. That's why I would tell the manager.
HH
Gary

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Gary, I agree it was irritating to see him doing it. Like I said I don't blame him for searching there are perks to just about every job. For all I know the guy is just trying to supplement his income a little to feed his family. He is not going to get rich doing it and he is not going to take away from me the silver flow ( such as it is ) in my area. I will still go by that bank when I am in the area, there is a bank right across the street that I have found silver at. Maybe I will catch something before it gets to him. And who knows how long he will be there.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Banks are usually really tight with what's going on with their employees on the job. Either picking is allowed, or it's not. The tellers that pull silver here, run down to sell to the only game in town, the jeweler that pays .75c for 40%, and $2 for 90% halves.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Most of the banks I go to won't allow tellers to cull silver on company time so they stop it before it starts. once they close out they don't get a chance! Smart managers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions