"Unauthorized Withdrawl"

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:unhappysmiley: Was at a pickup bank last Thur about 5:50PM (They close at 6PM) to get my weekly box of halfs. I had given the teller my money & was talking with him. I heard a voice say loudly "Give me the money" 3 times from my right side. I first thought someone who knew the teller had come in & was fooling around. I turned to my right & saw a slender man, about my height (5'8") standing next to me wearing a light gray hooded sweatshirt. He had the hood up & was wearing a ski mask which left only his eyes showing. In his right hand he had a large caliber handgun (not a revolver). The teller slid a bunch of $20 bills thru the glass slot & he told the teller, "give me the $100s". I put my hands up so he could see I had nothing in them. I slowly backed away to a nearby chair & sat down. That's when I saw there was another robber getting money from another teller. He was identically dressed & also had a large caliber handgun. They than ran out the back door that they had entered thru. If they had come in 2 minutes earlier, they might had gotten my $500 as I hadn't given it to the teller yet. After they ran out, all the bank personnel pulled out their cell phones & called 911. I found out later that this branch has been robbed 3 times in the past year. After I told my story to the cops 3 different times they let me leave. Needless to say I didn't get my box that day. I went back Fri & was able to pick up my box than. It was a cube Brinks box. They've been pretty pepe le pew lately. This 1 turned out to be nice. & 40%s (3/67, 3/68 & 1/69). I guess that was to make up for the inconvenience on Thur.
HH
Gary

Upvote 0

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,Thank You for your service.
I am glad your ok and no one got hurt. I worked at a max prison for 11 years. I have never had a gun pointed in my direction but had a couple of shanks pulled on me and was in a couple of riots and alot of fights. I had nightmares for months after the last riot it was bad. They sometimes come back when i am stressed people dont get it.If you ever need to talk please pm me.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like fun.

except for having to tell your story 3 times.

You would think they would be able to read what they write down
the first time :thumbsup:
HA! You think!?!? I've read IRs (incident reports) here that'd embarrass me to tears to hand in! Not kidding some are so bad I think they took their notes home & had their third grade son write em for em!!

On the other side, sometimes asking two or three times witnesses remember other things after they calm down a bit.

Seriously! Do a search for copies of crime reports, you'll either be laughing hysterically or completely dumbfounded.

OP
OP
C

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scary story Gary but glad you're OK. A few of my regular pickup banks were robbed. Seems to be on the increase lately. You handled your situation well. Can you credit your military experience to that?

:coffee2: Military training did help as it taught me to assess the situation. There wasn't much I could do as they were armed & I wasn't. Some times discretion is the better part of valor. I found out later that this is the 3rd time within a year that this branch has been robbed. There's a back door leading to a parking lot & a small creek that runs behind the bank. I think they're going to keep the back door locked from now on. There's been a rash of bank & gas station robberies in my county in the past 6 months. In fact a gas station attendant was killed in a robbery last month. It's a sign of the times as the economy is still bad despite what the government says.
HH
Gary

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:coffee2: Military training did help as it taught me to assess the situation. There wasn't much I could do as they were armed & I wasn't. Some times discretion is the better part of valor. I found out later that this is the 3rd time within a year that this branch has been robbed. There's a back do leading to a parking lot & a small creek that runs behind the bank. I think they're going to keep the back door locked from now on. There's been a rash of bank & gas station robberies in my county in the past 6 months. In fact a gas station attendant was killed in a robbery last month. It's a sign of the times as the economy is still bad despite what the government says.
HH
Gary

I ride the subway mon-thur, to school and i see a lot of people coming through the carts asking for "change". when Im walking to banks on my breaks between class, i see 2-3 homeless people with signs asking for help... Our Economy is strong, because the rest of the world is not doing better than we are.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like fun.

except for having to tell your story 3 times.

You would think they would be able to read what they write down
the first time :thumbsup:

Having been involved in various witness events, I can tell you this is the norm. It's how they establish what you're saying is what actually happened. It's AMAZING how people's stories will change in response to what they hear. They literally can be "skewed" into telling something that happened that didn't actually happen. By asking multiple times, they can tell if a witnesses story is reliable. It also helps as it "fixes" the story for the witness, too, in the event they get called in to testify.

Annoying to the witness, extremely valuable to the cops.

Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread