got kicked out of a bank today

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Went in to a very small small town bank today. I asked the teller if she had any halves. She said that she did and pulled a hand full out of her drawer. I could see one was silver. She counted them out and it was $8.50. I paid for them and scooped them up when the manager called over to ask if I had an account. I told her no and she said that they could not exchange money with me. I told her that I would remember that for the future. She said that they could not sell me the halves I had. I told her that they already had and thank you very much. She asked me to give them back. I told her no. She told me to get out of her bank. I did with my 1965

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went in to a very small small town bank today. I asked the teller if she had any halves. She said that she did and pulled a hand full out of her drawer. I could see one was silver. She counted them out and it was $8.50. I paid for them and scooped them up when the manager called over to ask if I had an account. I told her no and she said that they could not exchange money with me. I told her that I would remember that for the future. She said that they could not sell me the halves I had. I told her that they already had and thank you very much. She asked me to give them back. I told her no. She told me to get out of her bank. I did with my 1965

Too late now, but if you had happened to have an extra clad half dollar in your pocket you could have sold the bank back $8.50 in clad and made the manager happy as well as doing essentially a mini-dump.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go in and open a student acct for a kid 25.00. I would then let her tell you she was sorry for her behavior now that it is YOUR bank.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, she is the one who made the mistake given that she discouraged what likely could have been a future account holder.

$8.50 is $8.50, it will appear on the balance sheet either way.

Kicking a person out forgoes the possibility of him ever becoming a customer. Really stupid move on her part.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Actually, she is the one who made the mistake given that she discouraged what likely could have been a future account holder.

$8.50 is $8.50, it will appear on the balance sheet either way.

Kicking a person out forgoes the possibility of him ever becoming a customer. Really stupid move on her part.

50cent,
You are right. She could have said that it really is not there policy to exchange with non customers but hopefully i would consider them for my banking needs. I might have considered it.
Not now.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing how little some banks know about customer service and asking for someone's business.

They should all take a field trip to McDonald's... Would you like fries with that?

That manager could have simply said we don't normally do that, would you like to hear about becoming a member and what we have to offer as a bank.

I'm a small business owner and if I acted this way I wouldn't be in business long. I feel sorry for her employees, I can only imagine the amount of @&$/!? they have put up with each day.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

You should have said, "You just did" and walked out.

:laughing7:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Why should they shake? He admitted to not being a customer. Let's call corporate and tell them the bank wouldn't do business with me because I don't do business with them. They have that right.
Pretty sure being rude to a possible new customer isn't in the managers best interests, so yes corporate would like to hear about her. And let's not get crazy here with the idea that they performed a service.dude exchanged 8.50 in bills for a few loose halves that the teller was sick of counting in her trey. Why do you think she didn't ask for the account, she was happy to get rid of them

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
im not gonna lie. this story had me howling with laughter. woulda loved to have seen her face.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, he just opens up an account there and every time he asks to buy coins he gives her a smile and a wink.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been into countless banks that I don't have an account with asking for loose halves. They all fall into one of two categories: 1. banks like this one where they are rude to non-account holders, act like you are a leper because you don't have an account, and deny service or generally act ignorantly towards you. and 2. banks that know that you are not an account holder and use it as an opportunity to put their best foot forward, displaying optimal customer service, and saying and most importantly SHOWING me why I should want to open an account there. As someone that has a lot of accounts, I open accounts at many of the banks that fall into the second category. Furthermore, I have a pretty large group of friends, family, and coworkers, and you would be surprised at how many times random conversations come up where I sing the praises of and recommend the banks in group 2 to them. Their customer service towards non account holders undoubtedly grows their business.

The banks in category 1 have the opposite effect. I go out of my way to cause them trouble. IE, dump on them when I can, tie up their lines when I am asking for loose halves, and most importantly share my negative experiences with anyone that would listen. Their poor customer service undoubtedly hurts them significantly. With the situation banks are in today, the ones with poor customer service really are on borrowed time. There are so many banks gonig out of business and most of them are the ones with bad customer service.

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never dump coins or drop off coins from banks I don't have accounts with. They always say you need to have an account and that "you can do it this time but not in the future" even though it does happen sometimes in the future. I just stopped doing that, sick of having to listen to the "you need an account here" BS. Anyways, I just pick up coins from banks I don't have accounts with here and there. I've NEVER had them ask me. That's absolutely BS right there.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To me it is like this if the bank has those rules in place the manager and tellers have to abide by the rules …. If i managed a bank and crh came in and did not have a account .. I would tell them no account no help.. For i would rather keep my job than take a chance by breaking rules for some one ….And then lose my job..

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The correct way would have been. Excuse me sir, do you have a account with us? No. Oh Im sorry but for future reference, we can not do cash exchanges with non account holders. You have a nice day.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The correct way would have been. Excuse me sir, do you have a account with us? No. Oh Im sorry but for future reference, we can not do cash exchanges with non account holders. You have a nice day.
You are right on there ..then no one feels bad…Or looks bad..

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! How dare they not provide you with a service for free!
Free service!?!? you pay service charges don't you? Funny how most banks have forgotten that it's our money we're letting them use. It's not their money, not the banks, it's our money period without it they'd be working at Mc Donalds! If you run into a rude teller or manager throw that at them. I've yet to get anything back other than a blank look & stuttering & stammering.

Had an issue with a check getting stolen from a transfer from one branch to another. Their investigators admitted it was stolen within their system. The manager told us it'd 3 to 6 weeks before we got the money. Funny how when I was saying they lost my money I won't be penalized for their negligence I'd be right back with my attorney, the manager chased me into the parking lot to bring me back in so they could do me a favor and give me my money today. Amazing how they forget it's not the banks money along with the basics of customer service.

The other big gripe I have is when a $9.45 an hour 20 something teller starts talking down to me. In the last 5 or 6 years I've yet to run into more than two tellers that have done more than "their job".

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkiebassman was being sarcastic. And it's not your money they're using unless you bank with them. I agree with the check situation though. They should have made amends immediately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions