Canadian silver still dominating :(

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad for the info. I'm not that great when it comes to all the us coin info. I'm up here in Nova Scotia. I am sure going to be psyched when I finally dig a silver us. I'm way over due. I found almost 300 year old Spanish silver and almost 150 year old Canadian silver but no us silver. Closest I came was a 1966 us quarter! Haha

:coffee2: Actually the last year that US dimes & quarters were silver was 1964. US half dollars were 40% silver from 1965 - 1970. US "war" nickels 1942-45 (with large mintmark over the top of Monticello) were also silver. Since these dates like 1976 for the bicentennial some coins were made of silver but for the most part all US coins now are non silver. Hope this helps you.
HH
Gary

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:coffee2: Actually the last year that US dimes & quarters were silver was 1964. US half dollars were 40% silver from 1965 - 1970. US "war" nickels 1942-45 (with large mintmark over the top of Monticello) were also silver. Since these dates like 1976 for the bicentennial some coins were made of silver but for the most part all US coins now are non silver. Hope this helps you.
HH
Gary

Thanks for the info. A guy I know actually found a nice capped bust half dollar in a old site not to far from me (I forget the year) but it was in great shape. There was a lot of trade going on back then at this site with halifax but this site is about a hour hike back in the woods. There was farming and businesses there but all the land and homesteads were expropriated in the 1950's by the government. Hoping there will be more coins to find there if I ever get the time to hike back this spring! [emoji2]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread