160 SOLID ROLLS!!!!!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
...of copper (and wheats).

Got a call this morning from a bank teller, who said that a customer dropped off $80 in old pennies. She said she looked through a couple rolls, and saw mostly wheat. Did I want them? I said, did you say $80 or $18? She said, $80; that is, 160 rolls. I said I'd take them all, and be there in 30 minutes.

Got there in 20 minutes, and sure enough, there were 3 boxes plus. I couldn't thank her enough! Most of the wrappers were quite old, and many had writing on them, such as "1955", "up to 1955", and "1917 to 1955". Turns out that any rolls with a date meant the coins in that roll were from that date or earlier. Most of the rolls without dates that I've spot checked so far are also loaded with wheats. The few coins that are non-wheats are mostly BU red copper cents. Most of the wheats are from the 1940's and 50's, and are pretty well circulated. The earliest wrapper that I've seen so far says "1912-1955".

It's going to take me a solid month to go through them all in my spare time. Haven't decided just yet how I'm going to sort them, or what to do with them, but man am I stoked! 8,000 coins!!! :headbang:

Called her back just before the bank closed, and asked if there were any other coins dropped off by the same person (I was too flustered to ask when I picked them up). She said no, and that if there were she'd give them all to me. Not sure I believe her, as I know she collects silver, but I don't begrudge her if she did keep them; I was hoping to get nickels if she kept the silvers. I told her I'd stop by next week with an update on what I found, as well as some treats. Boy, will I ever!

It's been said again and again, build your relationship with the tellers. You never know when it's going to pay off!

Good luck and happy hunting!

FT

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Awesome score!! Looking forward to hearing the breakdown :)

That might take a while, though I do keep good records. Will post results eventually...

pics added. Quite a few wrappers I've never seen before, such as the purple one, and many banks that are long out of business. A good sign, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 128

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful accumulations. I would enjoy that hunt although tedious it will be fun. Congratulations!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! I hope there are some really good ones hiding in there. :icon_thumright:

This got me to thinking what I'd do if I stumbled across this many wheaties. I have never sold the first coin I've ever found or bought, but I believe I would here. I have no desire to add ~8000 common date wheaties to my collection. What are your plans FT? If you decide to sell them, let me know how that goes if you don't mind. Its completely ok if you choose not to as it is none of my business, and a PM is fine if you choose to and don't want to broadcast it to the world. I've always been curious as to the "real world" value of bulk, searched, common date/condition wheaties.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Good luck finding some key dates. I does sound like fun searching all those.
I guess you really have to be a coin collector to think that way.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey FT, super score there! That is a lot to look through, nickels and pennies kill my eyes after a while. HH, Maverick.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Great score! I hope there are some really good ones hiding in there. :icon_thumright:

This got me to thinking what I'd do if I stumbled across this many wheaties. I have never sold the first coin I've ever found or bought, but I believe I would here. I have no desire to add ~8000 common date wheaties to my collection. What are your plans FT? If you decide to sell them, let me know how that goes if you don't mind. Its completely ok if you choose not to as it is none of my business, and a PM is fine if you choose to and don't want to broadcast it to the world. I've always been curious as to the "real world" value of bulk, searched, common date/condition wheaties.

Hey Arkie, here my LCS pays 3 cents each for wheats. So if he didn't find any special wheats and just sold them all to the LCS, he'd turn in $80 face in wheats and get paid $240. $160 profit is not bad at all. At least that's what I would do anyway. No desire to keep wheats. I'd either take the $160 cash or get some silver with it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Arkie, here my LCS pays 3 cents each for wheats. So if he didn't find any special wheats and just sold them all to the LCS, he'd turn in $80 face in wheats and get paid $240. $160 profit is not bad at all. At least that's what I would do anyway. No desire to keep wheats. I'd either take the $160 cash or get some silver with it.

That would be wonderful. My LCS however, won't buy common date wheaties.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jackpot!!!! What a great score.............good luck with those rare dates.............
And, yes, build those bridges with the tellers............and keep them maintained..................

Feb 28, 2015
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a killer day !!! - im just new to coin roll hunting over last month and just bought my 1st detectorand looking forward to getting through snow and start detecting as well !!

Feb 28, 2015
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last week was my first real hit on half dollar silver - stopped at a little bank on a way to one of my accounts and they had 30 loose half dollars - i took them all and out of the 30 there was 1 x 1964 4 x 1967s 2 x 1968s 1 x 1969

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good score for your investment...........turn the unwanted back in and find another bank to repeat the process............
And, remember to build relationships with the tellers...........show them your appreciation...................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread